Exit Menu

Visas and Immigration

IMPORTANT NEWS: Negative test for Covid-19 required to travel to England and hotel quarantine from 'red list' countries. 

 All passengers wishing to enter England must have proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test to travel to England. The test must be taken within three days of travelling and passengers will likely need to present this to the airline before being allowed to fly to England (if applicable).

Please visit the UK Government website for further details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england.

Furthermore, entry into England is banned from certain countries to prevent the spread of Covid-19 variants. These are known as 'red list' countries. 

Note that India will be added to this list on 23 April 2021. 

People with long term residence rights in the UK are still allowed to enter - for example, if you have a Student visa, you would be allowed to enter. However, if you have travelled from or through a 'red list' country, you will be required to undertake a 10 day quarantine period in a government approved hotel. Please visit the UKVI website for further details of this. 

Please take this information into account if you are planning on travelling to England to commence your study at Brunel University London. 

Student Visa Advice

On 5 October 2020, a new 'Student Immigration Route' was introduced in the UK. This has replaced the Tier 4 (General) visa category and will apply to EU/EEA Nationals wishing to enter the UK from 1 January 2021. 

If you are an international student then it is likely that you will need a visa to study at Brunel University London. If you are not sure then you can use the 'Do I need a visa?' service on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for more help.

For all undergraduate, postgraduate, research and most English Language courses at Brunel you should typically apply for a Student visa, which covers the whole duration of your course. 

Information for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK from 1 January 2021 to study, you will need to make a Student visa application to study at Brunel. However, if you have entered the UK (or intend to) before 1 January 2021, you can apply for permission to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. In this case you would not have to make a Student visa application. 

Please visit the appropriate sections below for further details about how to apply for a  Student visa, and other important visa and immigration related information.

We hope that you should find the answers to any questions on these pages. Please also refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page. However, if you are not able to find the information that you need, please contact us

Latest News

Information for international students joining Brunel in 2021 (before September 2021)

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, your course at Brunel may initially be delivered using a ‘Dual Delivery’ method. This means that we will teach online and face to face on campus simultaneously, and you will have a choice of either depending on the circumstances. For example, if you are not able to travel you can begin online and join us in person on campus when you can. If you are issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), this is on the expectation that you will make a Student visa application and come to study with us in the UK as soon as it is possible to do so. But you will be able to register for your course online and arrive in the UK at a later date. 

Information for international students joining Brunel from September 2021

As mentioned above, at the moment international students holding Student visas are allowed to study online from their home country until the start of the new academic year in September 2021. However, Brunel University will be changing back to largely on-campus teaching from September 2021. Please visit our website for further details about this. Therefore, Students starting in September 2021 must apply for and obtain their Student Visa before the start of the course and arrive in the UK in order to register.

Please note that there may be different teaching plans if you are joining the Brunel Pathway College, which will be communicated to you separately.

Covid-19 and visa regulations

In response to the Covid-19 situation, the UK Government has changed some of the rules for students who need to make a visa application and for Universities like Brunel who sponsor Student visas.  

We have published information on our website to provide information to our current and prospective students about how these changes may affect them.

Useful guidance can also be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs - UKCISA website.

Graduate Immigration Route (Post Study Work Visa)

In September 2019, the UK Government announced plans to introduce a new Graduate Immigration Route. This will be a post study work visa that international students will be able to apply for when they complete their studies in the UK. From what we know so far, these are the key details of the Graduate route: 

  • The new visa will go live for applications on 1 July 2021; 
  • International students who complete their course in or after the summer of 2021 will be eligible to apply. Students who started a one year master's degree course in September 2020 and have only studied overseas, must have entered the UK by 27 September 2021 (or before the visa expires if this is sooner); 
  • It has also been confirmed that students starting a one year master's degree in January 2021 must have entered the UK by 27 September 2021 to qualify;
  • Students who entered the UK for their study before having to leave due to Covid-19 will qualify, but must re-enter the UK before their visa expires;
  • It will be open to students who complete a course at undergraduate, postgraduate or research level, who have a valid Tier 4/Student visa at the point of application (which must have been issued for the completed course). The Tier 4/Student visa needs to have been issued at least 12 months before the application;
  • The student must have a valid Tier 4/Student visa at the point of application. It will not be possible to 'switch' from a non-Tier 4/Student visa to the Graduate visa; 
  • Unfortunately, the Graduate route will not be open to students who will complete their studies before the summer of 2021, or whose Tier 4/Student visa expires before 1 July 2021;
  • The visa will be two years long and will allow a graduate to work, or look for work, in any sector and at any level in the UK. The visa will be three years long for research graduates i.e. PhD; 
  • The visa will not be extendable and will not lead to settlement in the UK. However, it will be possible to switch into a skilled work route if the standard requirements are met; 
  • The visa application will cost £700. 

We will update our communication when further details of the new visa route are confirmed.