Exit Menu

Regulatory Information

Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMO)

HMOs are properties which are occupied by three or more unrelated people in two or more separate households.

In simple terms if you are renting out to more than two unrelated people, your property is an HMO and will need to comply with the regulations in the Housing Act 2004.

If your property houses five or more people it is as well as being an HMO it is Licensable. You will therefore have to apply for a Licence from the Local Authority before you can rent it out.  The London Borough of Hillingdon has in place an Article 4 Directive (under the Town & Country Planning Acts) for Brunel and Uxbridge South wards - in these wards it is necessary to obtain planning permission to change a property to HMO use regardless of the number of bedrooms.

For more details regarding Houses of Multiple Occupation and Licensing requirements please contact us or the Private Sector Housing Team for further advice:

 Brunel Student Lettings
Private Sector Housing Team 
Brunel University London
Civic Centre
High Street

Tel +44 (0)1895 267900

Email bac@brunel.ac.uk

Tel +44 (0)1895 250189

Email contact@hillingdon.gov.uk


Health and safety requirements

All HMOs must also comply with the Schedule of Works provided by the London Borough of Hillingdon Private Sector Housing Team, which can be obtained directly from them at the Civic Centre (see the address above).

In addition, all properties must fulfill the following requirements:

  • All properties must have a current Landlords' Gas Safety Certificate, which should be undertaken by a Gas Safe Registered gas fitter. This is renewable on an annual basis.
  • All properties must have a current Electrical Periodic Inspection Report, which should be undertaken by an approved NICEIC electrician. This is renewable every five years or sooner if specified on the certificate.
  • All furniture and furnishings in the property need to satisfy the rules on fire safety, which came into effect on 1 March 1993. Beds and mattresses should carry fixed labels stating that they are fire resistant in accordance with BS7177. Sofas and armchairs need to carry a fixed label stating that they comply with the Furniture and Furnishings Regulations 1988. If you are unsure whether the furniture in your property complies, do not worry, as we will confirm this for you when we visit the property.
  • All properties should have mains wired and interlinked smoke alarms as well as a carbon monoxide alarm.
  • All properties must contain a fire blanket.
  • All properties must have a current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
Essential informaion for landlords - LBH