Row Britannia is an inclusive (adaptive sport) mental health, fitness and wellbeing challenge by The British Inspiration Trust (BRIT), for teams throughout the UK to raise vital funds and positive awareness. Brunel University is entering a ‘team’ with the aim of completing 2,020 miles of rowing by 13th March 2020 and raising £3000 in the process.
The ‘team’ in Brunel’s case will be any Brunel student, member of staff or user of our facilities.
Please see the FAQs below for information on how you can take part.
I’m an existing member of the gym – how do I register my rowing as part of the challenge?
- Row your miles on one of the rowers located in the cardio room and take a photo of your mileage. Take your photo to the Sport Centre reception who will then log your miles on our record sheet. Do this every time you row to make sure every mile counts!
I’m not a gym member. Can I take part?
- Yes. Come to the Sports Centre Reception, sign a Health Commitment Statement form and ask for the Row Britannia Hub. This is located in the Exercise Studio and is accessible 7am-9pm on weekdays and 9am-6pm on weekends. Take a photo of your mileage on your rower when you’re done. Once you verify the photo at Sport Centre reception, they will log your miles on our record sheet. Do this every time you row to make sure every mile counts!
Where are the rowing machines located?
- Row Britannia Hub in the Exercise Studio in Brunel’s Sport Centre for those who aren’t members of the gym. If you are a Brunel Gym member, you can use the rowers upstairs in the Cardio Room.
How do I help raise money for Row Britannia?
Can anyone participate?
- Yes, anyone over 16 can participate. By participating, you are declaring you are fit to undertake physical activity. Please be aware Brunel University does not accept responsibility or liability for any loss or damage, or for any death or personal injury, arising out of any activity.
I’ve never used a rowing machine, can I still participate?
- Yes, rowing is an adaptive sport open to all. If you are unsure, please speak to a member of the gym team who will be able to give you some guidance.
Can I transfer miles from a rowing machine at my local gym?
- Yes. Just make sure to either email firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a photo of your miles to the Sports Centre Reception so we can update our records.
What’s the target?
- We are aiming for Team Brunel to jointly row 2,020 miles between now and 13th March 2020, in order to raise £3,000 for Sport Relief. For more information see the Row Britannia website: https://www.rowbritannia.org.uk/