2020/21 Update & IAC Closure
Due to the restrictions on our sport and hotel facilities due to Covid-19 and the resurfacing work of the IAC track there will not be a SPP membership for the first term of this new academic year.
Unfortunately, the restrictions in place mean we cannot provide the key benefits to the programme such as IAC access, hotel spa and physiotherapy support at this time.
For the interim period we have created a short term 3-month gym membership offer to the Sports Centre gym which has now increased in size due to expansion into the exercise studio. This membership is just available to those students who would’ve purchased the SPP membership. The membership product is called SPP Autumn and is available at a one-off upfront payment of £60.
We will look to re-introduce a reduced cost SPP membership from January 1st to May 31st 2021as access to the IAC and other SPP benefits such as spa access may be available by this time although this will be dependent on the pandemic situation.
To purchase this short-term Sports Centre gym membership please visit the Sports Centre or IAC reception desks and ask to purchase the SPP Autumn membership.
Please ensure you download the Brunel Sport App on your mobile device prior to your visit in order to speed up the registration process and to enable booking of gym session slots via the App.
And the IAC?
The IAC will be closed until December 2020 due to renovation work taking place within the centre. The IAC track is being replaced with an upgraded athletics surface as well as new gym and weightlifting areas. There will be a layout change which will see both the Pole Vault and Long Jump runways moved to the end of the IAC.
We know that the disruption may cause some inconvenience but we hope you will all be excited by the new IAC that will be unveiled in December.
Who are the Performance Programmes designed for?
The Sports Performance Programme is a programme of coaching, support services and facilities access designed to help those current Brunel students who are looking to continue and develop their skill, fitness and performance levels in either Athletics, Netball, Football, Futsal, Basketball, Rugby Union, American Football or Lacrosse. These are Brunel’s chosen Performance Sports for 2019/20.
To be eligible to join a Brunel Sports Performance Programme athletes must be:
- Students currently registered at Brunel University
- Current members of the associated Brunel Student Union sports club
What benefits do Sports Performance Programme members receive?
- Access to the Indoor Athletics Centre (IAC) including the Strength & Conditioning Weights Area for the whole academic year
- High level coaching provided by qualified National Governing Body coaches employed by Brunel Sport
- Help to establish a training/study routine when arriving at University
- Weekly Strength & Conditioning sessions
- Spa Access including use of the Plunge Pool, Steam Room, Sauna & Jacuzzi
- Free physio/sports massage at selected times each week with Uxbridge Physiotherapy
How much does the Sports Performance Programme membership cost?
SPP Membership £180 per academic year giving to access to the IAC only
New to 2019 is SPP Gold Membership £220 per academic year, giving you access to both the IAC and the Sport Centre Gyms.
How do I become a member of the Sports Performance Programme?
Becoming a member of the SPP is a three step process:
1) Buy your union Sports Membership online £35.00
2) Join the relevant Brunel SPP Club - Athletics, Netball, Football, Futsal, Basketball, Rugby Union, American Football or Lacrosse online.at https://brunelstudents.com/teambrunel/
3) Buy your SPP membership from either the Indoor Athletics Centre or Sports Centre Receptions. You will have to provide proof that you have already joined the relevant Brunel Student Union Club before your SPP membership can be purchased. N.B Individual membership to SPP will have to be authorised by the Union of Brunel Students and relevant SPP club committee.