Exit Menu

Pre-arrival & Arriving at Brunel

 Everything you need to know about travelling to the UK.

Airport Pick-Up Service

The Airport Pick-up Service is free for new International, EU and Exchange Students arriving into Heathrow airport. 

You can request the airport pick-up service if:

- You are a new International, EU or exchange student.

- You have a confirmed room on campus for the date of your arrival.

 Requests for a taxi must be made at least 3 days before your confirmed arrival date.

If you will be arriving between 18 December 2020 and 6 January 2021, you will need to request your taxi before Thursday 17 December to ensure that it is booked in time.

 To book, you will need to have confirmed flight details and accommodation on campus.

Please complete the form once only. Once we have arranged a taxi you will receive a booking confirmation email from our provider Addison Lee.

Please Allow all cookies to view this video from YouTube. Alternatively view the content here

Find out how our taxi provider have prepared to give you a safer journey.



If your travel plans change or you no longer require a taxi please contact studentsupport@brunel.ac.uk or 01895267045 to amend or cancel your booking.


Travelling to the UK

Please remember that face coverings must be worn for the full duration of your journey. Pack a face covering or scarf to cover your nose and mouth before you travel.

If you are arriving into the UK from a country where an airbridge agreement is not in place then YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO QUARANTINE ON ARRIVAL INTO THE UK.

Arrivals from countries that are exempt from the requirement will not be required to self-isolate, because they’re travelling from places that have been assessed as low risk.

To check if you do not have to isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK, please visit the Coranivirus (Covid-19): Travel Corridors webpages.

Note: this may change so please ensure you have checked before you travel.

If you are unable to travel to the UK you will need to study and complete assignments online via our dual-delivery teaching approach. Check out the Studying from outside the UK section for more advice and guidance.


If you have not applied for on-campus accommodation by the above deadline you can still apply here and the team will do their best to provide you with a campus room.

Alternatively, there are plenty of private housing options available off campus within easy reach of campus via Brunel Student Lettings. They offer a low deposit, out of hours support from the campus Security Team, continued support from the Community Liason Officer and more. You can find out more about off campus housing here.

If you decide to find your own accommodation off campus, you're still entitled to use plenty of our on campus facilities such as the Library, sports facilities and social space. 

Support Available

You can find out about the support available to students moving in on campus and off campus on the student intranet.

If you have any concerns with your on campus room you can contact the Residences Customer Service Team.

Visit the Things you need to know webpage on Brunet for useful information including:

- Useful contacts

- Registering a device to the Brunel Wi-Fi

- Reporting a repair

- Laundry and Cleaning

and much more.

University Registration

In order to register at Brunel University London, all students must provide evidence that they have valid immigration permission to study in the UK.

This can be done by presenting your visa - This may be a vignette in your passport or a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

However, if you have a pending immigration application at the point of registration, you should supply this evidence. This may include letters or emails you have received from the Home Office and/or a copy of your application form. 

You can find more information about registering as an international student here, including how to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

 BRP Collection & Tier 4 Visa Responsibilities

Brunel sponsors Tier 4 visas for students to come to the UK with the primary purpose of studying full-time at our university. Both you and Brunel have to meet certain requirements so you can maintain your visa.  

In addition to the responsibilities outlined below we recommend you read Protecting your visa published by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Your Responsibilities

In order to comply with the conditions of their visa, all Tier 4 students must:  

  • register for their course annually before the registration deadlines  
  • sign the Tier 4 Student declaration in eVision annually  
  • provide a passport and evidence of eligibility to study (visa/BRP) to Brunel  
  • maintain up-to-date contact details with the University  
  • maintain full engagement with their course of study.  

You can find more information on studying on a Tier 4 Visa here, including:

- Brunel Responsibilities

- Registering with the police

- Engaging with your course

and much more.

Setting up a UK bank account and phone

UK Bank Account

On arrival in the UK, you may be able to use you bank account from home for some purchase, but your bank may charge you for transactions made outside of your home country.

We would encourage you to set up a UK Bank Account to avoid additional charges and to keep track of your spending.

You can find relevant information to open a UK Bank Account here, including:

- Which bank do I go with?

- What documents do I need?

- Tips on keeping your money safe

and more.

UK Mobile Phone Number

It may be cheaper and more convenient to obtain a UK mobile number for your time in the UK. There are a number of networks to choose from and different options for either pay-as-you-go (pre-paid) or monthly contracts.

Using a pay as you go allows you to pre-pay for your airtime minute, texts and data.

Pay as you go plans are ideal for students. Most SIM's come with bundles that contain a set amount of data, minutes and texts. More importantly, they don't require a credit check.

The other option is a contract phone or 12-month sim only deal, often with these deals the phone comes free when you sign up for a plan.Contract plans require a credit check. 

You will, however, be bound to a contract, which (in most cases) can vary from 12, 18, or 24 months, and breaking the contract is very expensive.

Under a contract plan, you are allotted a certain number of minutes and texts and you pay a fixed monthly rate (if you exceed your minutes though, expect to pay additional charges!)

You can find more information and compare UK mobile phone deals here.

If you plan to use your phone from home, make sure it is compatible with the UK Sim card.


Register for medical care

The on-campus Brunel Medical Centre offers a range of free NHS services to students, including vaccinations. Make sure to register as soon as you as can so their team of doctors and nurses can advise you on health care and provide support if your become unwell. 

You can benefit from these services if you live on campus or within a 2 mile radius of Brunel. If you live outside of the catchment area but still want to register with the Brunel Medical you can visit the webpage for more details.

Registation is free, fast and easy via the Brunel Medical Centre webpage 


When you arrive in the UK, you will not be allowed to leave the place where you’re staying for the first 14 days you’re in the UK (known as ‘self-isolating’) unless you’re arriving from an exempt country:

To check if you do not have to isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK, please visit the Coranivirus (Covid-19): Travel Corridors webpages.

If you are arriving from a country that requires you to self isolate for 14 days, you can book temporary accommodation to self-isolate on campus. This is subject to availability, and you will be charged the en suite room rate, view more information on this here.

You will not be able to use the pickup service if your accommodation on arrival is off-campus. 

How to self-isolate

You should self-isolate in one place for the full 14 days, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and should stay away from others unless you travelled to the UK with them. You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the public health passenger locator form.

This can include:

  • your own home
  • staying with friends or family
  • a hotel or other temporary accommodation

You should not have visitors, including friends and family, unless they are providing emergency assistance.

You cannot go out to work or school or visit public areas.

You should not go shopping. If you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or relatives or order a delivery.

You cannot go outside to exercise.

You must not leave self-isolation to collect your BRP - if you are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon your arrival in the UK, you are exempt from this requirement and must not come to collect the BRP during this time. Please collect your BRP once you finish self-isolating from the 15th day onwards.

You can find more information on self-isolation rules in the UK on the government webpage.


Studying during self-isolation

You can still engage with your studies and support services remotely during your self-isolation (quarantine) period. 

You can find more information on how your course will be delivered here.


If you have coronavirus symptoms you should not leave your accommodation.

Do not travel if you have coronavirus symptoms.

Tell a member of the staff or crew if you develop symptoms while travelling.

If you develop symptoms whilst you are in self-isolation get a test to check if you have coronavirus and notify the univerisy via the Coronavirus Reporting task on eVision