Reach Every Ambition by Developing Yourself
The READY Programme is an employability course exclusively for new students starting their journey at Brunel. The scheme is run by our Professional Development Centre and provides students with the opportunity to learn about product and service design, teamwork and communication through real, inspiring, sustainable, cross-cultural development projects.
The programme focuses on UNDP (United Nations Development Programme's) work in a refugee camp in Zambia. The camp is home to over 14,000 refugees who have fled the Angolan and Rwandan wars during 1966 and 2002.
The READY challenge is to “innovate for global development” you will work in teams to design a product (good and/or service) aimed at solving real life problems faced by the resettlers in the Zambian refugee camp.
Make new friends and stand out from the crowd
Enhance your CV with transferable skills, and build contacts while making a real difference!
The programme is all about boosting your employability in these approaches:
- Knowledge - Employers are increasingly looking for candidates that can show they have skills beyond their degree
- Skills and approach The ideal applicant for graduate roles will be a well-rounded and dedicated individual who can work as part of a team, has the right attitude and can demonstrate confidence, has good analytical and communication skills as well as sound commercial awareness.
The READY programme is a Brunel+Award accredited activity. The Brunel+Award is designed to give you recognition for the non-academic activites you take part in during your time at Brunel, this shows employers you can demonstrate skills beyound your degree such as team work, communication and presenting.
By singing up to the programme you can earn a maximum of 230 Brunel+ points towards a Bronze, Silver or Gold award at the end of the academic year. You can activiate your Brunel+ profile using your network username and password and add the points you earn across each term.
The READY programme runs for ten weeks from October - December 2019
This is a versatile programme with engineering, health, culture, economics and finance as its components. On the READY programme you will explore issues such as poverty and environmental sustainability, which in turn are affected by international, socio-economic, political and technical forces.
Throughout the programme you will be exploring these complexities via the design of creative solutions. Using the Zambian design brief, developed by UNHCR, the programme will:
- Look at problems in developing countries
- Use various methods to analyse these complexities
- Brainstorm to develop a solution
- Evaluate how the solution can be designed to suit the local community
- Assess various methods to design the solution
- Create the actual product
- Ensure sustainability of the project
- Clarify the implementation
- Present solution to employers / professionals and peer
- The winning solution/design will be celebrated at the final session held in December 2019
- You’ll take part in 10 sessions which run from 5:00 to 7pm every Tuesday, starting on 8 October and ending on 10 December 2019. All sessions will take place on campus.
- Your project will be entered into a competition. The best solution will win first prize.
- You will receive a certificate of participation at the end of the programme as well as Brunel+ points and credit on your HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report) transcript.
- You must attend at least 7 out of the 10 sessions including the final session on 10 December 2019 to avoid paying an admin fee of £50.
- The programme will run for 10 consecutive weeks, with no break during reading week.
If you have any questions about the programme please email email@example.com.