Congratulations on securing your place at Brunel
We’re looking forward to meeting you - either in person or online - and introducing you to life at Brunel. To help us get started, we’ve put together a short activity and some further information to help you prepare for your course - including a snapshot of the topics you’ll cover and useful resources. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Your pre-arrival activity
We’d like you to complete a short activity before you join us. We can discuss your answers in one of your first personal tutor sessions. Your work will not be officially assessed however it will allow your tutor to get to know you better.
What job would you love to be offered after graduating?
It’s completely fine if you have not thought about this yet. We find that our students can benefit from beginning to think about where they’d like to be in three or four years’ time, so that we can help them make the very best use of their time here.
Some of our Biomedical graduates begin careers as research scientists, forensic scientists, clinical site managers or science journalists.
Have a think about:
What knowledge, skills and abilities are you bringing to your degree?
Which skills and abilities are you going to need to develop further during your time here to help you get your dream role?
- What barriers might you face in achieving this goal and how will you overcome them?
We also advise you to take a look at the information below. Completing wider reading and getting familar with what you'll be learning, will help prepare you for academic life at Brunel.
Sample lecture topics
- Structure and function of cells
- Introduction to Genetics
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Basic molecular biology laboratory techniques
- Biological problem-solving skills and critical thinking
- Molecular Biology of the Cell: Alberts et al., Publisher: Garland Science; 6 edition ISBN-10: 0815344643. ISBN-13: 978-0815344643. (The first two chapters of Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al (a free version available here)
- Molecular biology of the Gene: Watson et al., Hardcover: 912 pages. Pearson; 7 edition (20 Feb. 2013). ISBN-10: 0321762436. ISBN-13: 978-0321762436
- Mims' Medical Microbiology 5th Edition. Publisher: Saunders; 5 edition (29 Aug. 2012) Language: English ISBN-10: 0723436010 ISBN-13: 978-080892440.
- Biochemistry: Berg et al., Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan; 8th Revised edition (3 Jun. 2015). ISBN-10: 1464126100 ISBN-13: 978-1464126109 (The three summary sections of Biochemistry by Berg et al (freely available here)