Student athletes representing Brunel University London have won the London Universities and Colleges Athletics Indoor Championships – and by a substantial margin.
The small but mighty team of ten students joined more than 230 athletes from across London’s universities at Lee Valley Athletics Centre on Saturday 1 December.
While other universities had several athletes competing in each event, Brunel’s compact squad achieved exceptional placings, racking up 41 points overall and pushing the squad from King’s College London into distant second place with 28 points.
Harry Hillman, Brunel Men’s Track and Field Captain 2018/19 and second-year BSc Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences (Human Performance) student, said: “I am extremely impressed with the team’s performances. These London University Champs were a chance for us to get out on the track in the middle of a heavy winter training block, so I wasn’t expecting such strong performances from myself – let alone my whole team.
“To come away as champions was such a surprise to us all. Our team was less than half the size of most, so that in itself says how well our squad did. I’m very proud of this small team and can’t wait to carry them through to BUCS [the British Universities & Colleges Sport Outdoor Championships] in 2019."
- Jordan Aki-Sawyerr: long jump, 6.64m (gold)
- Matthew Billington: 400m, 51.55s (gold)
- Alex Clegg: long jump, 5.83m (6th); 400m, 52.76s (4th)
- Leanne Davies: shot put, 9.54m (gold); long jump, 4.43m (7th)
- Alice English: shot put, 7.81m (silver); long jump, 4.09m (11th)
- Harry Hillman (Captain): 60m, 7.13s (silver); 60m hurdles, 8.63s (silver); shot put, 10.11m (bronze)
- Remi Jessop: 60m, 8.07s (gold); 200m, 26.94s (gold)
- Prakash Lee-Cunningham: high jump, 1.90m (gold)
- Daniel Ryan: 60m hurdles, 8.48s (gold); shot put, 12.62m (silver); 60m, 7.20s (4th)
- Annika Teska: high jump, 1.70m (gold, plus Championship Record)
Joe Buchanunn, Media Relations
+44 (0)1895 268821 email@example.com