Exit Menu

Postgraduate study options

Understand how further study impacts your career

Make an appointment
Is postgraduate study right for you?

There are many reasons for considering postgraduate study, for example:

  • A postgraduate qualification may be essential for your chosen career, e.g. clinical psychologist or solicitor
  • You feel that it will increase your subject knowledge, or give you specialist skills or knowledge
  • One of your lecturers or parents has recommended it
  • You think that it will improve your job prospects or that it may be difficult to find a job in the current economic climate
  • You feel that you would enjoy the challenge of further study
  • You feel that you'll lose your incentive or ability to study if you don't do it immediately
  • You just don't know what else to do now you've finished your undergraduate course

Whatever your motivation, you should be clear on what you hope to achieve by continuing your studies and the opportunities further qualifications may or may not provide. Top Tip: Unless for pure academic love and endeavour, be sure to fully research your postgraduate course. Is it the best in its field? Is it filling an information or skills gap? What does it offer in terms of job prospects and industry connections?

In addition to the resources below, you can explore your sector further in our Industry A-Z in the Finding a Job section to give you idea of the best routes in to your career.


Taught master's courses

These are usually studied one year full-time or two years part-time. Successful completion often involves passing exams and submitting a dissertation on a relevant topic. Some courses such as the MBA programmes require at least three years of work experience.

Professional qualifications and conversion courses (Teaching / Law/ Psychology)

Professional courses provide vocational training to enter a specific profession such as Law, Teaching. and Accountancy.

Conversion courses allow you to change subject or career direction, such as the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), for becoming a solicitor or barrister.

Find out whether the careers in which you are interested require you to take either a professional course or a conversion course:

Research degrees

Spend time researching a topic of particular interest, become expert in a specialist field, develop new ideas and research methods and take your first steps towards an academic career.

Research degrees involve two to four years of original research and may require a master's qualification first. It is examined by thesis and viva (a spoken examination).

Professional doctorates, e.g. in Education or Public Health, focus on real-world research and include taught modules to support academic and professional development.

The New Route PhD is an integrated programme that combines research with a structured programme of advanced training in discipline specific and generic skills.

Careers Consultants are happy to explore your ideas with you. So, once you've done some research and gained a clearer idea of what's involved, you may wish to make an appointment.

Researching your options

Where to look
  • Master's courses at Brunel Open days, how to apply, fees and funding
  • Research degrees at Brunel Research degree courses, applications and funding
  • FindAMasters Database of taught and research master's courses
  • Find a PhD Compare PhD programmes. Information and advice on postgraduate research and funding
  • FindCourses Discover and explore different courses to further education and enter a specific career sector 
  • Jobs.ac.uk Search for PhDs, research studentships, professional doctorates. The site includes articles and advice
  • Masters Compare Search, compare master's courses and save your choices
  • Postgrad.com Guide to postgraduate study in the UK including news and events, career articles and blog; search the database for taught and research programmes and institutions
  • Prospects gives full information on postgraduate study including a searchable course database
  • TARGETpostgrad gives advice on postgraduate study, useful links and a searchable course database
  • Our Work and study internationally  pages give information about living, working, and studying in Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, and Oceania.
Choosing a course checklist
  • Prepare a list of institutions that offer the course and visit websites to find course information or contact them to request more information
  • Check the course content and objectives thoroughly to make sure that it meets your needs. Check whether the course includes practical work experience
  • Attend open days - a chance to talk to academics and current students. Find out about fees, funding and  scholarships
  • Get advice from your own lecturers
  • Check online forums 
  • Discuss your findings with a PDC careers consultant
  • Check course rankings and league tables. Assessing the reputation of the course can help you to reach a decision. Look at Official UK postgraduate rankings and Reference Excellence Framework (REF) for rankings of UK institutions by subject.The REF is the system used by the four UK higher education funding bodies to assess research quality in UK universities
  • Graduate employability - how do employers view the course? On completion of the course are graduates successful in finding a job?
  • Employment levels for UK doctoral graduates The Vitae website gives destinations information by subject 
  • The Higher Education Statistical Agency  collects data about the destinations of students from Higher Education Institutions in the UK
Find out more

If you know that you definitely want to pursue a professional rather than academic career look at Professional Doctorate programmes, e.g. EdD, DClinPsy and EngD, which equate in status and challenge to a PhD and involve an element of taught study. 

Professional and vocational courses


Take some time to research the profession in which you are interested and the possible study routes before you make a final decision. The resources on this page should help you to do this. 

Try to obtain relevant work experience during your course at Brunel as this will help you to confirm that the profession is right for you. It will also be viewed favourably by employers and educational institutions and it could also contribute to any period of work experience that is required in order to complete the qualification.

After you have done some research, you may feel that you would like further help. You can do this by making an appointment with your Careers Consultant.

Specialist areas


Graduates, who have studied for many of the Business, Economics and finance degrees and who have passed certain modules, are usually eligible for exemptions from the Chartered Institute for Management Accountants (CIMA), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) entry level examinations.

You can check whether your University course is eligible for credit for prior learning (exemptions) by looking at these websites:

Employers offering training vacancies will often require a 2:1 minimum degree, and it's important to have done some research so that you have a clear understanding of the sector before you enter it.

The main qualifications
  • Chartered Accountant: ACA, a business and finance qualification from ICAEW, gives an opportunity to study while you're in full-time employment. You will often need to have obtained a 2:1 degree and good UCAS points. Training vacancies are advertised on their website.
  • Chartered Certified Accountant: ACCA is a globally recognised qualification that develops accounting knowledge and skills as well as professional values. The qualification comprises exams, ethics and experience (a minimum of three years is needed to gain the qualification - preferably obtained while you're studying but previous experience while studying is also counted). Large employers will generally ask for a 2:1 degree - or look at other criteria - and good A-levels.
  • Chartered Management Accountant: CIMA. The qualification has been designed to blend management accounting, financial accounting and business-focused subjects to ensure CGMAs (Chartered Global Management Accountant) have the skills that employers demand. There is the possibility of training with an employer and vacancies are listed on the website.
  • Chartered Public Finance Accountant: CIPFA, from the Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy, qualifies people in public finance with the option of working in public services, national audit agencies or in major accountancy firms. The website gives trainee vacancies.
Find out more about the sector and the qualifications

Careers Consultants are happy to explore your options with you particularly if you are uncertain which qualification is the best one for you to pursue.

  • GAAPWeb has a useful Careers Blog section, which lists professional bodies within the sector together with a brief description of each qualification and its target audience. Job vacancy listings; and also look at the information on the Financial occupations and Industry sector pages.
  • Job profiles on the Prospects website gives profiles under the Accounting, Banking and Finance section that should help you to gain a better understanding of the training routes and what's involved in the different accountancy roles.
  • TARGETpostgrad gives a perspective on finance and accountancy including possible employers and professional bodies.


Actuaries cover fields such as pensions provision, insuring risks from healthcare, protecting individuals and businesses. The most common route to qualification is through a graduate trainee post with an employer who will generally require you to have a minimum of a 2:1 degree in a numerate subject and a good Mathematics A-level grade. It will take you three-six years to qualify.

Find out more
  • Become an actuary, from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, gives extensive information on the actuarial role, the qualification routes, and where to find trainee opportunities 
  • Prospects job profiles Responsibilities, qualifications,  and skills

Banking finance

  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates the UK financial services industry. If you wish to work in the sector as a Financial Adviser, you will need to pass appropriate qualifications that are listed in the FCA handbook..

The banking sector offers a variety of challenging roles, and qualifications vary according to the job and area of the sector that you are considering. You also have the option to take up a graduate training scheme with employers in retail, corporate or investment banking. To apply for these schemes you will generally need a minimum 2:1 degree, a strong academic record with good UCAS points and have undertaken relevant work experience, preferably through internships. Spring Insight programmes are available for first year students – attendance at these can enhance your chances of securing an internship in the second year. Recruiters will also look for commercial awareness and knowledge of financial markets. Some recruiters may offer the opportunity to gain chartered status or a professional qualification while others may give you the chance to experience working in several areas in the bank or to focus on a specialist role. 

The main qualifications
  • The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program, awarded by the CFA Institute (based in the USA) and recognised globally, is a master's level investment and finance qualification. To achieve chartered status you will have to pass three levels of examination. The program will qualify you for several roles in banks and finance houses. There are scholarships available.
  • Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) offer a programme of qualifications for the financial services industry covering a range of specialist areas from foundation to professional level. The Qualifications Navigator is a guide to the industry roles and the appropriate qualifications.
  • Investment Management Certificate (IMC), awarded by the CFA Society of the UK (CFA UK), is an entry level qualification for those working in investment-related roles, particularly front office investment professionals.
Find out more about the sector and the qualifications
  • Job profiles on the Prospects website under the Accounting, Banking and Finance section should help you to gain a better understanding of the training routes and what's involved in the different job roles.
  • Inside Careers gives information about the banking and investments sector including the qualifications
  • TARGETjobs Accountancy & Financial Management and Investment Banking & Investment sector advice and the TARGETjobs Finance booklet which gives overviews of the different finance sectors including the skills required in each.
Financial advice and planning

Financial advisers have to pass examinations on a broad range of financial and regulatory subjects to ensure that they can provide advice to a specific standard. Qualifications are issued by several examining and awarding bodies.

  • BPP offer a range of qualifications within the sector
  • Financial Adviser School A new Financial Adviser School training programme starts each month (subject to demand). It is designed to help students achieve the Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA) in just 47 weeks. Students are introduced to existing adviser firms that are looking for new advisers, to help them find a suitable business to join during, or after, studying.
  • The London Institute of Banking and Finance is a University College and the only ‘professional body’ for banking and finance with degree awarding powers.

Human Resource (HR)

It may be possible to enter the sector if you have worked in a relevant administrative role or have gained work experience, e.g. through a sandwich placement, internship or part-time work, but employers are likely to require you to have a professional qualification accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) if you are applying for a more senior or managerial role.

You could investigate employers that offer HR graduate training schemes, e.g. Marks & Spencer, Atos, Barclays, Nestle, Ford, the NHS or Lloyds Banking Group, as it's likely that they will fund and support you in achieving the CIPD qualification. Also look at TARGETjobs ‘Which employers offer HR graduate training schemes?’.

Remember to explore other related job roles such as training officer or recruitment consultant. 

Find out more


There are no specific qualifications required for roles within general insurance. However larger insurance companies may offer an organised training programme which will include a relevant qualification, e.g. Advanced Diploma in Insurance (ACII) which takes about two-three years to complete. The programme covers key areas such as law, risk management, underwriting, reinsurance and broking.

  • Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) professional body for insurance, risk and financial planning offers globally-recognised professional qualifications
Find out more


The Business and Management (Marketing) BSc course is approved and accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), and course graduates can gain direct entry onto the CIM’s Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing – CIM Graduate Gateway.

It's possible to train while you're working in a marketing role, but you may find that an employer will support you financially by giving you time off to gain a qualification from the CIM. Qualifications range from the Professional Certificate or Diploma to the Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing.

The marketing field has changed rapidly over the last few years as a result of technological advances so also consider digital marketing qualifications such as the CIM Diploma in Digital Marketing or those offered by other professional organisations. The use of social media now figures strongly in many marketing roles. 

The sector and qualifications: 
  • CIM World-wide professional marketing body. Defines the marketing standards that operate in the UK. Provides membership, qualifications and training to marketing professionals
  • CAM Foundation Qualifications in digital and offline marketing communications. CAM qualifications are awarded by CIM
  • IDM Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing is the professional body for the development of direct, data and digital marketing, offering professional awards in direct, digital, data, email and social media marketing
  • Creative Skillset, the Creative Industries' Sector Skills Council website, includes a course directory
  • TARGETjobs Marketing, advertising and PR
  • Prospects Job profiles Gain a better understanding of the training routes and what's involved in the different job roles


There are two main graduate routes to qualify in this sector:

Direct entry as a tax trainee – this will require you to study for the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) while working (for an accountancy firm, a solicitors firm or an in-house tax department). This gives you eligibility to study for the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification. You do not need a degree to take the ATT.

Indirect entry – by achieving a professional qualification in chartered or certified accountancy from one of the UK professional accountancy bodies, qualification as a solicitor, barrister, advocate or designated company secretary status followed by the CTA qualification.

You could also consider the three year Graduate Programme (Tax Professional) offered by the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Find out more about the sector and the qualifications:
  • Job profiles on the Prospects website under the Accountancy, Banking and Finance sector should help you to gain a better understanding of the training routes and what's involved in the different job roles.


Take some time to research the profession in which you are interested and the possible study route(s) before you make a final decision. These resources should help you to do this. 

Find out more about the health sector in general and the job roles that you could consider:

  • NHS Health Careers Find out about careers in the National Health Service (NHS), entry requirements and training
  • Look at Prospects Job profiles to find information about a career and links to sites for career research. The profiles give information about the relevant qualifications and how to achieve them
  • TARGETjobs Graduate job descriptions Find out what each job involves, the qualifications and skills

Try to obtain relevant work experience during your course at Brunel as this will help you to confirm that the profession is right for you. All educational institutions offering programmes to qualify you in these professions will require you to have obtained appropriate work experience. You can find some resources in the relevant study routes information.

Degree accreditation

If you wish to work as a biomedical scientist in the National Health Service (NHS) or associated organisation you will need to have been awarded the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) Certificate of Competence which allows you to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To achieve this you should have:

  • graduated from an accredited BSc Honours Biomedical Science course
  • undertaken registration training in an Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) approved laboratory
  • completed the IBMS Registration Portfolio leading to the awarding of the IBMS Certificate of Competence
Non-accredited degrees

Graduates from a non-accredited undergraduate honours degree course including Brunel's BSc Biomedical Sciences courses (2017) are strongly advised to have their existing qualifications assessed before enrolling on any further course of study.

  • You will need to have your qualifications assessed for registration purposes. Note that this can take up to two-three months.
  • This assessment will advise whether you need to take any additional top-up modules; these can be taken at the same time as the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio.
  • You will need to submit a copy of your degree certificate, degree transcript, and module descriptors among other stated documentation.
  • You will be advised to obtain a place within an IBMS approved laboratory and complete the Registration Portfolio in order to apply for the Certificate of Competence.

Once you've done some research and gained a clearer idea of what's involved, you might like some help working out which study route to take. Or perhaps you'd like someone to help you find work experience or review your application? Careers consultants are happy to explore your ideas with you, book an appointment here.


Work experience

You will need to have obtained relevant work experience in the dentistry field before you apply to dental school. Use any contacts that you have or volunteer to help at dental practices or hospitals offering dental surgery:

  • BDA British Dental Association Find a dentist allows you to search by postcode for dentists whom you can approach for work shadowing opportunities
  • NHS Choices Find health services by location or postcode
  • BDA Guidance in the different career options available within dentistry, UK dental schools and vocational training. The site lists dental schools offering graduate entry degree courses
  • Dental Schools Council gives information on qualifications and a list of UK dental schools
  • General Dental Council (GDC) regulates dental professionals in the UK, and gives details of qualifications leading to registration with the GDC as a dentist, and the schools that offer the qualifications. The website also gives links to inspection reports for programmes
  • NHS Health Careers Find out about careers – including Dentist - with the 'Dental Team', entry requirements and training
For general queries the following forum is useful:
  • The Student Room Student community with forums, articles. examples of personal statements 

Come into the Professional Development Centre (PDC) and ask to look at Getting into Dental School (6th edition, 2009) by Steven Piumatti, published by Trotman.

Admissions tests

Find out about the Academic Admissions Tests - UKCAT UK Clinical Aptitude Test or the GAMSAT Graduate Medical School Admissions Test - you may need to take as part of your application to dental school, and practice tests to help you prepare.

Test dates vary and you will need to register in advance for either one or both of the tests you decide to take.

  • NHS Bursaries information on the GOV.UK website
  • NHS Health Careers gives information about current financial support for students on degree courses in dentistry
  • NHS Business Services Authority administers student bursaries
  • The Armed Forces offer training as a dental cadet, i.e. The Army, Royal Navy or Royal Air Force
How and when to apply

You should start researching courses in your penultimate year at university, and apply at the beginning of your final year. The closing date for UCAS applications is generally in October of the academic year before which you want to start your course. 

  • UCAS Search and apply through UCAS for graduate entry to dentistry courses
  • When you apply you will need to provide UCAS with the results of your Admissions test


Work experience

You will need to have obtained relevant work experience before you apply to medical school. Use any contacts that you may have within the medical field, volunteer to help at hospitals/hospices, St John Ambulance/British Red Cross, find care or laboratory work or look for relevant advertised voluntary work:


Multi-Mini Interviews - MMI

  • The Medic Portal Multi-Mini Interview, MMI Questions
  • Doceatdoc MMI Example Station – scenario testing your response to a moral or ethical problem
For general queries the following forums are useful
  • MedStudent.org Online community of medical students and applicants to medical school
  • The Student Room Student community with forums, articles. examples of personal statements
Reference books

Recommended by students:

  • Get into Medical School - Write The Perfect Personal Statement (2016) Olivier Picard
  • Medical School Interviews – A practical guide to help you get that place at medical school (2013) Olivier Picard
  • Succeed in Your Medical School Interview (2015) Dr Christpher See
  • God Bless the NHS (2013) Roger Taylor
Admissions tests

You will generally need good passes in your A-levels and a 2:1 degree in a science-related subject. Some institutions will ask you to take one of the following admissions tests. Make sure that you check websites to make sure that you don't miss registration dates or tests:

  • BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) - Registration generally opens at the beginning of September and closes in early October
  • Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admission Test (GAMSAT) - Registration generally opens in early June and closes in early August of each year
  • UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) - Registration generally opens in early May, closing in September

You can find out more about these tests including practice test links on the NHS Health Careers website. 

Reference books

Recommended by students:

  • Get Into Medical School - 1000 UKCAT Practice Questions (2016) Olivier Picard
  • Get Into Medical School – 650 BMAT Practice Questions (2016) Lydia Campbell
  • How to Master the BMAT (2015) Chris Tyreman
How and when to apply

Start researching courses in your penultimate year at university, and apply at the beginning of your final year. The closing date for UCAS applications is generally in October of the academic year before which you want to start your course.

Be tactical: It’s recommended that you apply for at least one undergraduate course as competition is high for places on graduate entry schemes.

  • UCAS Search and apply through UCAS for graduate entry to medicine courses using the search term 'medicine graduate entry' in the Course box
  • When you apply through UCAS you will need to provide them with the results of your Admissions tests
Personal statements

NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) 

The Scientist Training Programme (STP) is a graduate-entry programme following one specialism in the field of Life Sciences, Physiological Sciences or Physical Sciences/Biomedical Engineering, and leads to a master's degree. You will be employed by an NHS trust during your training so you will benefit from practical work experience while you are studying. You should start researching your options during your penultimate year at university.


Recruitment for the STP generally opens in January of each year; however, the programme is highly competitive and there is a very short application window - usually just three-four weeks - so it will help if you have already considered your options and researched how you apply.

  • National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS) aims to support trainees through their course, and to maintain consistency and standards of training courses
  • The NSHCS website gives full information about the STP including entry requirements, job description/person specification, applications, interviews, open days, university providers and FAQs
Applications and interviews

Look at the NSHCS website to find the following information:

You can make an appointment to talk with a Consultant if you would like some help.


Work experience 

Relevant periods of paid work experience, work shadowing or voluntary work in retail or hospital pharmacies would support your application for an MPharm programme. An alternative option would be to take up a post as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy assistant before you study for an MPharm.  

How and when to apply

You should start researching courses in your penultimate year at university, and apply at the beginning of your final year. Apply as early as possible in your final year if you want to study a particular course.

  • General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) approves qualifications for pharmacists and accredits education and training providers.  Listing of accredited universities and information about MPharm courses. Educational requirements for becoming a pharmacist.
  • Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS)  General information on careers in pharmacy qualifications, job roles and accredited universities offering the MPharm programme
  • NHS Choices Find health services by location or postcode

For general queries the following forums could be useful:

  • Pharmacy Forum UK was created for anyone working or studying in the field of pharmacy including retail, hospital or industrial pharmacy.
  • The Student Room Student community with forums, articles, examples of personal statements

Physician Assistant (PA)

Physician Associates (previously physician assistants) work to the medical model in the diagnosis and management of conditions in general practice and hospital settings, under the supervision of medical practitioners.

  • NHS Health Careers outlines the work of a Physician Associate, and links to institutions offering a training programme - usually developed in conjunction with the local/regional NHS organisations. The Physician Associate MSc programme is offered at Brunel University London, St George's University of London and Queen Mary University of London
  • Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA), Royal College of Physicians provides support to qualified and student physician associates across the UK, reviewing and setting standards for education, training and accreditation of university programmes.  
How and when to apply

You should start researching courses in your penultimate year at university, and apply directly to institutions during your final year. Closing dates for applications will vary by institution.


Take some time to research the career which interests you and possible study route(s) before you make a final decision. Find out more about the sector in general and the job roles:

  • Prospects provides options with your psychology degree including jobs directly related to your degree and jobs where your degree would be useful.
  • British Psychological Society (BPS) Representative body for psychology and psychologists in the UK. The site gives information on accredited courses and training programmes, qualifications to achieve chartered status, and specialisms
  • Differences between psychology, psychiatry and psychotherapy on the NHS Careers website
  • NHS Health Careers Find out about careers in the National Health Service (NHS), entry requirements and training
  • Psychology Student Employability Guide provides a psychology specific overview covering such topics as where psychology graduates work within and outside psychology, emerging areas of work, the job market, and includes activities to help you explore interests, skills, preferences and values

Your careers consultant for psychology is happy to explore your ideas with you. So once you've gained a clearer idea of what's involved, you may feel that you would like some help to work out which study route to take or where to look for work experience. Or perhaps you would just like someone to review your application? Why not make an appointment?


The only two psychology professions that currently offer funded places on postgraduate training programmes are clinical and educational psychology.

Clinical psychology

The NHS provides funding for places on the Doctorate programme. If you are awarded a funded place you will be employed by the NHS while you're studying as a Trainee Clinical Psychologist and your fees will be paid. You can find out more at Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology (CHPCCP).

Educational psychology

The Association of Educational Psychologists handles all applications for funded places. You can download their booklet.

If you’re considering a career in psychology, and would like more information on where to look for funding you can make an appointment.

Find out more

Psychology professions

To qualify as a Chartered Psychologist you will need to take a British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited postgraduate training course: to do this you must have achieved Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the Society. It is usual also to have undertaken extensive periods of relevant work experience. You can achieve GBC by:

  • completing a BPS accredited undergraduate psychology degree, or 
  • taking a psychology conversion course after completing an unrelated undergraduate degree

Note: Brunel University London's courses in Psychology, Psychology and Sociology, and Psychology and Anthropology are approved degree courses for the purpose of giving GBC, provided the minimum standard of qualification of second class honours is achieved.

  • Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) regulate practitioner psychologists in the UK. You need to complete an HCPC approved programme of training to work as a Clinical, Counselling, Educational, Forensic, Health, Occupational or Sport and Exercise Psychologist. Before you enrol on a postgraduate programme remember to check that it is accredited by the HCPC.

Clinical Psychologist

The qualification is a doctoral level (PhD) degree (accredited by the BPS and approved by the HCPC) which combines academic and practical training including both a research project and clinical placements. Courses are mainly full-time for three years, and places are generally funded by the National Health Service (NHS). Competition for places is very high and some successful candidates have higher qualifications like a Master’s in addition to relevant work experience.

  • Prospects profiles the role of a clinical psychologist and includes examples of relevant work experience.
  • Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology (CHPCCP) manage course applications for most institutions. The site gives information on course centres, entry requirements, funding, and advice on what counts as work experience and where to look. Entry requirements vary amongst the universities so it is important to research your options carefully.

Counselling Psychologist

The doctorate (PhD) in counselling psychology qualification (accredited by the BPS and approved by the HCPC) combines academic and practical training including a research project and clinical placements: Courses are three years full-time and you will need to apply directly to institutions. The alternative is to take the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology.

  • Prospects profiles the role of a counselling psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.
  • BPS Information on how to become a counselling psychologist including a search facility for accredited doctoral programmes.
  • Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP) is an independent qualification offered by the BPS if you are unable to commit to a doctoral course.

Educational Psychologist

The qualification is a three year full-time doctorate level (PhD) course (accredited by the BPS and approved by the HCPC) generally consisting of a first year spent studying full time, and working for a local authority as a trainee educational psychologist, with 1-2 days study per week in the second and third years. You are also expected to work for two additional years in England.

  • AEP Association of Educational Psychologists is the professional association for Educational Psychologists in the United Kingdom. This website covers the training, application process and an FAQ section with information on obtaining work experience, funding and entry requirements. All doctorate applications are managed by the AEP.
  • Prospects profiles the role of an educational psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.

Forensic Psychologist

You have the option of taking a doctorate programme (PhD) or a master's in forensic psychology followed by Stage Two of the BPS Qualification in Forensic Psychology; you will need to apply directly to institutions.

  • BPS Information on how to become a Forensic Psychologist including a search facility for doctoral and master's programmes.
  • Prospects profiles the role of a forensic psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.

Occupational Psychologist

You will need to take a BPS accredited MSc in Occupational or Organisational Psychology followed by Stage 2 of the Society's Qualification in Occupational Psychology (this provides a period of supervised practice); you will need to apply directly to institutions.

  • BPS Information on how to become an Occupational Psychologist including a search facility for master's programmes.
  • Prospects profiles the role of an occupational psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.


Neuropsychology is a post qualification discipline in which you first need to be a Chartered Psychologist within the fields of clinical or educational psychology. You then need to do the BPS qualification in Clinical Neuropsychology (QiCN).

  • BPS Information on how to become a neuropsychologist.

Sport Psychologist

You will need to take an accredited BPS master’s course in Sport and Exercise Psychology and then you have the option of either doing a BPS accredited doctorate or the Society’s qualification in sport and exercise psychology (stage 2). You need to be registered with the HCPC in order to use the title Sport and Exercise Psychologist.

  • BPS Information on how to become sport and exercise psychologist.
  • Prospects profiles the role of a sport and exercise psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.

Health Psychologist

You will need to take an accredited BPS master’s course in Health Psychology and then you have the option of either doing a BPS accredited doctorate or the society’s qualification in health psychology (QHP stage 2).

  • BPS Information on how to become a Health psychologist.
  • Prospects profiles the role of a health psychologist and includes ways to get relevant work experience.

Academia, Research and Teaching

To become chartered in this field you usually need five or more years supervised and assessed professional activity. The research route normally includes taking a PhD. Another route is based on experience and training as a teacher.

  • BPS Information on how to become a research psychologist/academic.


Work experience

Obtaining work experience is vital for psychology students who wish to enter the psychology professions. In addition, as the undergraduate course is very broad, graduates can enter a wide variety of jobs and professions. Graduates who work in areas unrelated to psychology will find that the degree is seen as useful by employers. Work experience can help you to confirm that the profession is right for you. Relevant experience can come in the form of placements, volunteering, summer and part-time work. Also, masters and PhD course providers may specify the type and amount of work experience they require so it would be sensible to check institutions' entry criteria.

  • Clinical psychology Look at care/support worker roles; befriender/help line volunteering; teaching assistant in a special needs school; voluntary work with clients with disabilities/mental health issues: charities and support services; research assistant.
  • Counselling/Counselling psychology Taking a basic, introductory short counselling course at a local college would give you a good start - Floodlight lists full- and part-time courses in the London area and other UK regions. Look for voluntary and paid work in a mental health environment to obtain extensive face-to-face experience, e.g. The Samaritans, Mind and paid support worker roles.
  • Educational psychology Look at holiday and after school clubs including overseas opportunities such as BUNAC; teaching or learning support assistant roles; mentoring/befriending schemes; ABA tutor roles. 
  • Forensic psychology Look at prison visiting; youth worker; Probation Service; substance misuse organisations/helplines; voluntary work with relevant charities and agencies, e.g. Victim Support, Youth Offending Services. 
  • Occupational psychology Look at HR assistant and administrative roles in a relevant setting as well as jobs that will develop your understanding of how organisations are structured and issues that relate to organisational change and management. This could include supervisor roles and general management. 
  • Consider other ways of learning more about an occupation such as informational interviewing and work shadowing.
  • British Psychological Society Types of Psychologists gives some suggestions where you could look for work experience related to individual psychology areas.

If you would like some help to find work experience opportunities we encourage you to make an appointment to talk to your Careers Consultant for Psychology.


This section relates to teacher training in England. To find out about training to teach in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland see TARGETpostgrad Teaching: Teacher training options.

Find out about teaching
  • Primary and secondary teaching: to work as a teacher in state maintained schools you need to have professional qualified teacher status (QTS). To be awarded QTS you must complete a period of training, such as a one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course or school-centred training, which recommends you for QTS. This is known as initial teacher training (ITT).
  • Early years teachers work with children from birth to five. It is possible to train to teach early years in the same ways you would train to teach in state maintained schools.
  • Independent schools: Teachers aren't required to have QTS, but most do.
  • Further education: A teaching qualification is not required, but career prospects are improved with one.

Explore your options in advance to give yourself time to obtain sufficient classroom experience and to assess the different training routes. These websites give general information about training and working as a teacher and the possible teaching roles:

  • UCAS Teacher Training (UTT) is the primary source of information about the different postgraduate training routes, courses, entry requirements, available funding and how/when to apply. UTT provides a single application system for postgraduate teacher training.
  • AGCAS Routes into teaching 2018 - downloadable PDF
  • Department for Education Get into Teaching gives information on many aspects of teacher training applications. You can sign up for a Teaching event: to find out more about a career in Teaching.
  • TARGETpostgrad Teaching covers the steps to becoming a teacher, including the qualifications, tips to gain classroom experience, training options, funding overview, advice/information on applications and interviews, and a search for PGCE/PGDE teacher training courses.
  • TARGETjobs gives information on professional training and qualifications to become a teacher including specialisms such as Early Years education
  • Prospects Teaching and education gives an overview of the sector, the possible teaching roles, skills you will need, and tips to find work experience and a teaching job once you're qualified

Make an appointment with a Careers Consultant if you would like to talk through your options, ask about relevant work experience, have your personal statement or application reviewed, or just have some questions.

Post-16 Teaching

Post 16 / Post compulsory

It is possible to teach academic, vocational or hobby and leisure subjects at sixth form colleges, FE colleges, adult and community education centres and prisons and youth offending units.

You can become an FE teacher without a teaching qualification, but will have better prospects if you hold one. Individual institutions set their own requirements and may have their own in-house training programmes.

Teaching qualifications range from a Level 3 Award to a Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training. A PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) in post-compulsory education is the most usual route into the profession for new graduates. You will need a degree in the subject you wish to teach.

  • UCAS Teacher Training site advertises some FE/Post Compulsory PGCE courses
  • FE Advice Becoming a Further Education Teacher gives full information about the qualifications, subject specialisms and financial support. It also provides general advice for those who are already FE teachers
  • Prospects FE teacher job profile
  • TARGETjobs Lecturer (adult education): job description 
  • TARGETjobs Lecturer (further education): job description

Routes into teaching

Primary, Secondary or Early Years teacher

You can find and apply for teacher training places on the UCAS Teacher Training website.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

Based at a university or college, either one year full-time or two years part-time. It involves practical school-based placements for full experience of classroom teaching.

Find out about the PGCert Primary and Secondary teaching courses offered at Brunel University London.

School Direct

Individual schools recruit and select the trainees they want with the expectation that they will then go on to work within that school. One year programme, leading to QTS and, in some cases, a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). There are two programmes:

  • School Direct: Non funded, open to all graduates - you will pay tuition fees and may be eligible for a bursary and/or loans for fees or maintenance
  • School Direct: Salaried, open to graduates with three or more years' experience - you will be employed by a school as a trainee teacher and paid a salary
School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)

Put together by a consortium of schools working in partnership with education institutions and the local authority. One year programme combining academic study and practical work.

Teach First

Teach First is an independent charity offering employment-based training for top graduates who may not normally consider a teaching career. The programme involves two years working in state secondary schools, plus leadership training with employers. At the end of the two years, you can decide whether you want to stay in teaching or not. Completion of the PGCE will give credits which you can put towards a master's qualification.

You should register and apply directly to Teach First.

Early Years Teacher Training

Early Years teacher status (EYTS) is equivalent to QTS working with 0-5 year olds only. Those with EYTS train to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage. The routes to achieving Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) are:

  • Graduate Entry (Mainstream) - 12 months, full-time
  • Graduate Entry (Employed) - 12 months, part-time (for graduates working in an early years setting who need further training)
  • School Direct (Early Years) graduate entry – enables you to train within a group of schools or nurseries
  • Assessment Only – taking place over three months, this self-funded route is ideal for graduates with experience of working with children from birth to age five, who meet the Teachers’ Standards (Early Years) with no need for further training
  • Teach First offers Early Years schemes

Apply directly to accredited Early Years Initial Teacher Training Providers - a list  of these is issued by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).

Entry requirements

Professional skills tests

Skills tests in numeracy and literacy are required to be taken before the start of the course and at the Test Centre, you will need to prove that you have applied for Initial Teacher Training (ITET).

You can practice online before you take the test: numeracy and literacy.

Maths and English (and Science for Primary)

GCSE English and Mathematics at grade C or above (or equivalent), and Science at grade C or above (or equivalent) are required for Primary teaching.

Without the grades it’s possible to take a part-time or distance learning course. For details of possible courses see www.hotcourses.com or Floodlight or check with your local college.

You could contact your secondary school to see whether they can help. You can also approach these exam boards to take the exam as a private candidate: AQAEdexcelOCR.

Subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses

Subject knowledge enhancement courses are intensive programmes for graduates who need to develop a greater depth of subject understanding prior to achieving qualified teacher status.

  • Most SKE courses are offered in secondary-level shortage subjects such as mathematics, physics and chemistry, and foreign languages
  • Your training provider will identify whether you need to take an SKE course as part of the selection process and will refer you
  • If necessary you can undertake the course while you are training but you will need to have completed it before you can be awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
  • Courses are funded so you do not have to pay for them
  • Search for available SKE courses
School experience

Most Initial Teacher Training providers require applicants to have undertaken at least two weeks’ relevant work experience in a mainstream UK school in the phase for which you're applying.

  • You could approach a local school or the school you attended to arrange to shadow a teacher or observe classes
  • Look into volunteering in a school. Could you volunteer regularly as a teaching assistant (TA)?
  • Work part-time as a teaching assistant. Jobs are often advertised in local papers, the Times Educational Supplement (TES)local council and school websites. (Local schools are generally listed on council websites.)
  • The Schools HR Co-operative advertises jobs in schools in Hillingdon, Slough and West London
  • You can gain classroom experience through the School Experience Programme (SEP) but you will need to check the programme requirements to see whether you are eligible to apply

You could ask your careers consultant for help in applying for relevant experience


Funding arrangements vary according to what you want to teach, where you want to train and what age groups you want to teach.

There are bursaries available for trainees with good degrees in shortage subjects. If you, or the course to which you are applying, is not eligible for a bursary you can still access tuition fee and maintenance loans to help fund your training and cover tuition fees. Eligibility depends on the subject and age range you plan to teach and your degree class.

Look at the Department for Education Get into teaching: Bursaries and funding and UCAS websites for information.

You could also check with the Subject Leader about the funding arrangements for any course.

UCAS Application process

UCAS Teacher Training (UTT) application process

Make sure that you fully understand the 'rules' of the application process before you apply, for example you can only apply for a training programme when it's open. If you are unsure about the process or have some questions you can talk to a PDC Careers Consultant.

  • The process is split into two parts: Apply 1 and Apply 2
  • Apply 1 will generally open in mid-October in the year before you start a training programme, although you can often start to search courses on the UCAS site from September, You can make up to three choices from any of the routes available on UCAS Teacher Training. When a training programme is opened for the first time, it stays open for a minimum of 14 days. It may then close, but if all the places are not filled it could open again later. Popular courses fill very quickly and so apply early if you know the course you wish to pursue is usually oversubscribed.
  • Apply 2 usually opens at the start of January in the year in which you would start a training programme. You will only use Apply 2 if you completed and didn't get a place in Apply 1 or you declined all offers. You can only make one application at a time but you can make several applications until the closing date in late September/October.
Your personal statement

You will need to demonstrate your commitment to the course and chosen career.

  • Your application should show your interest and enthusiasm for the subject and how you will use the qualification once you've finished the course
  • You should prove that you have the necessary skills to cope with the demands of the course by giving recent and relevant examples, e.g. from paid/unpaid work experience
  • Don't just focus on how much you enjoy the subject

You may find the following resources helpful when writing your statement:

Once you've written a draft statement, come in and get it reviewed by a Careers Consultant.  

Applicants with a disability

Teacher training providers have a responsibility to ensure equality of access but also need to ensure that applicants have the health and physical capacity to teach. It's important that you contact training providers at an early stage in your application to explore your options and discuss any special arrangements that you may need. 


You can find out more about training to be a lawyer and the sector in general by looking at the Law section in the Industry A-Z tab in Finding a job  section

Make an appointment with a Careers Consultant if you would like to discuss your postgraduate options, get your application reviewed, need information on funding or just have some general queries.

Conversion courses

If you did not study for an undergraduate degree in law, you will firstly have to take a conversion course known as the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) before you can train to be a solicitor or barrister: 

  • Apply for full-time GDL courses through the Central Applications Board
  • Apply directly to institutions for part-time GDL courses 

Once you have your GDL or your undergraduate degree in law you then need to take further qualifications to enable you to practice as either a solicitor or a barrister.

Professional/vocational qualifications


To qualify you will need to take the Legal Practice Course (LPC). You can find a list of institutions offering qualifying law degrees on the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) website:

  • Apply for full-time courses through the Central Applications Board which also processes applications for full-time GDL courses 
  • Apply directly to institutions if you want to take a part-time course

Your training provider will confirm directly to the SRA that you have been accepted on the LPC. However if there are any issues that could impact on your suitability as a solicitor you will need to complete the 'Eligibility to commence a period of recognised training (Character and Suitability)' application on the SRA website at least six months before you start the course.

Training contract

Once you have completed the LPC you will have to undertake a two year full-time training contract which includes the Professional Skills Course (PSC) at a law firm. This will allow you to put into practice the skills and knowledge that you have gained to date and develop them further in a work environment.

As a law undergraduate you will need to apply in June/July of the summer vacation between your second and third year (before you start the GDL if you are a non-law graduate) if you wish to work at one of the Magic Circle or large law firms. Smaller firms may accept applications only a year in advance.

If you don’t secure a training contract between your second and third years it doesn’t mean you can’t continue to apply for training contracts; it just means that you may not start your training contract as soon as you might have hoped.

Visit Law Careers.net to find out more about training contracts and to search for a training contract. 


Some law firms may supply sponsorship for your GDL or LPC if they have offered you a training contract, and the Law Society offers a Diversity Access Scheme. However most students take out a bank loan to cover their course fees.

You could also consider 'portfolio' funding - applying for smaller funds from charities and other grant-making trusts. Look at publications such as The Directory of Grant Making Trusts or The Grants Register or search the Family Action Educational Grants Search website to find out whether you match the required criteria.


To qualify you will need to take the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) and apply online through the Bar Student Application Service BarSAS central application portal. 

Bar Course aptitude test

You will need to pass the Bar Course Aptitude Test (BCAT) which will test your critical thinking and reasoning before an offer of a place on the BPTC can be confirmed.

You can find out about the BCAT and take a practice test on the Pearson TalentLens website, and there are more critical thinking practice test links on our website. You will need to register and schedule your BCAT on the Pearson Vue website.

Joining an Inn of Court

You should apply as early as possible to become a member of an Inn of Court, and certainly by 31 May of the year in which you will enrol on the BPTC. You will not be able to start a course if your membership has not been confirmed.

Each Inn offers GDL and BPTC scholarships and it is worth considering the range and size of awards granted when choosing which Inn to join. 


Pupillage is the final practical stage of training to become a barrister when you will practise in a set of chambers or Authorised Training Organisation (ATO) under the guidance of a pupil supervisor over a period of 12 months.

The Bar Council Pupillage Gateway opens in mid January each year and offers are made in early May. Pupillages are heavily oversubscribed. 


Chartered Legal Executive

For those who have an undergraduate law degree there is a further option for postgraduate study, which leads to qualification as a Chartered Legal Executive. This is someone who carries out work similar to that of a solicitor and you can, by undergoing a period of qualifying work experience and taking further exams, go on to qualify as a solicitor through this route. 

After graduation you would undertake a nine month graduate fast-track part-time study programme while you are working (the work has to be largely of a legal nature, such as a paralegal). Go to the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) website for more details. 


Paralegals have generally completed some form of legal training but have not qualified as a solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive. The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILex) offer qualification courses for both law and non-law graduates.


Applications and interviews

Our website has resources to help you prepare. If you would like some help with your course or funding applications or are invited for interview, you can make an appointment talk to a Careers Consultant. You'll get the most out of your appointment if you take some time to prepare your application in draft before you come to see us.


Finding funding

Sources of funding

Funding can be limited and competition is fierce so many students fund themselves either by working while studying or taking out loans. There is no set minimum or maximum course fee that universities can charge and, as it can vary considerably, it’s important to check what you are getting for your money. You can find out more and check eligibility at Student Finance - Postgraduate Funding.

Government-backed postgraduate loans

Master’s  - operated in a similar way to undergraduate loans. In 2018/19, the most that can be borrowed is £10,609, these are non-means-tested and cover tuition fees and living expenses. More information can be found here.

PhDs – loans were introduced in August 2018. Worth up to £25,000, these will be non-means-tested, and will cover tuition fees, maintenance or any other study-related costs. They're aimed at students who have lived in England for the last three years for a reason other than study. More information can be found here.

Scholarships and grants
  • The university at which you will be studying may offer scholarships. Find out about scholarships offered by Brunel. To be entitled to any scholarship you will need to apply and be accepted on to the course.
  • FindAMasters.com Postgraduate scholarships available for all subject areas at any university currently listed on their website. Offer an annual scholarship and a number of smaller awards in any subject.
  • FindAMasters.com Funding for International Students in the UK             
  • Google Scholarship for students with a disability
  • PostgraduateFunding.com Database of grants
  • Postgraduate Studentships Searchable database of funding from charities, trusts, other general funding bodies, plus details of studentships and scholarships offered by University departments, for both taught and research study
  • Scholarship Hub Search for UK scholarships, grants or bursaries
  • Scholarship Search Search by level of study, award type, subject and organisation
  • TARGETpostgrad  Search for funding or scholarships - for UK, EU and international students - by level and subject of study; institution; funding source and country of origin from universities and other degree-awarding institutions; Research Councils, charities and trusts and independent research bodies
  • Publications such as the Grants Register, Charities Digest, and Directory of Grant Making Trusts at your library.
  • Snowdon Trust offer grants for students with a physical/sensory disability to help with additional disability-related costs that are not fully provided from statutory funding

This involves asking a large number of people to contribute to your postgraduate study costs by donating relatively small amounts of money. Popular crowdfunding websites include: Crowdfunder and GoFundMe.

Employer sponsorship

Some employers will fund existing employees to undertake part-time postgraduate study and other employers, such as large firms of solicitors, fund relevant professional courses.

Knowledge Transfer Partnerships

An opportunity for graduates to work within a commercial environment (paid a salary at industrial rate) while studying for a higher degree and with support from academic experts. Find out more: Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP).

Funding a PhD

For an overview of methods to fund a PhD go to the Research degrees section of the Brunel website.

The seven Research Councils allocate Training Grants (TGs), commonly known as studentships, to universities and departments. Universities are responsible for allocating the grants and so PhD applicants should apply via their university for a Training Grant and not to a Research Council.

The seven grant-awarding Research Councils are:

In science, engineering and technology many postgraduate research projects are funded by Research Councils, industry or government. There are fewer sources of funding in arts and social sciences. Check with your project supervisor about funding before you commit yourself.

Find out more


  • Find and compare PhD research projects and programmes, with doctoral opportunities and scholarships and advice on postgraduate research and funding. 
Offer an annual scholarship and a number of smaller awards in any subject.

How to apply for a master's

Find out how to apply at Brunel University London.

Entry requirements

You will normally need a minimum classification of 2:2 in your degree but you should check with the course director/tutor as admission to a course will be dependent upon individual circumstances, e.g. you may have professional qualifications or extensive relevant work experience.

When to apply
  • Look into your options as early as possible and certainly by the end of your penultimate year to make sure that you don't miss any deadlines in your final year.
  • Check out institutions' open days, visit your top choices and talk to course directors/admission tutors.
  • Most postgraduate courses do not have a formal closing date but apply as soon as you can - popular courses are full months in advance.
  • There are set closing dates for some professional courses such as medicine, law and teaching. Applications for teaching training courses, for example, open in mid-October and popular courses (such as primary) fill within two weeks.
  • Check websites to make sure that you understand the application process to give yourself enough time to find referees etc. 
  • Research your funding options early as there are likely to be deadlines for some applications, particularly university scholarships and research council grants.

There is no central admissions system for all postgraduate courses. There are some exceptions: you will need to apply through a central application system for postgraduate courses in law, teaching, medicine, psychology and social work.

  • Either apply directly to your chosen institution(s) or through UKPASS where you can search for courses and apply.
  • MyPostgradApps gives the option to manage your applications, compare Master's programmes, and find information about studentships.
  • Come in and talk to a careers consultant so that you're sure you are on the right track.

Some universities will require applicants for postgraduate courses to submit a CV. You can find useful tips and CV examples - by discipline - on the CV and applications pages.

Personal statement

Most applications for master’s and conversion courses will require you to complete a personal statement. A good personal statement is important – it could help to persuade the admissions tutor to offer you a place and, in cases where interviews aren't conducted, may be your best chance to make the case for your admission.

  • Show your interest and enthusiasm for the subject and how you will use the qualification once you've finished the course
  • Prove that you have the necessary skills to cope with the demands of the course by giving recent and relevant examples
Find out more

Once you've written a draft statement and CV, come in and get them reviewed by a careers consultant.

How to apply for a PhD

  • How to apply for a PhD looks at the decision process, academic requirements, funding and how to apply.
  • Choosing a PhD from TARGETpostgrad
  • PORT - postgraduate online research training The information is tailored towards humanities students but it's a good resource for researchers/postgraduate students from other disciplines. There are useful handbooks for students completing a Modern Languages doctorate which leads you through the process of applying for and completing a PhD
  • RCUK Careers in Research hosts case studies giving an insight into life as a researcher and the different career paths which they take. The studies feature researchers from all seven Research Councils and cover a broad range of disciplines
  • Should I do a PhD? e-book from Jobs.ac.uk that focuses on using career decision making approaches rather than on the choice of research topic.
  • Vitae Researchers' portal that gives information and guidance for the different stages and aspects of doing a doctorate
  • An Academic Career Find out what it takes to become a successful academic: Is an academic career for you? What do academics do? How do you become an academic

After your master's

  • Your Master's, what next?  gives information on how you could use the skills you have gained from a Master's course, and suggestions to help you find a job
  • What can I do with my masters? Marketing your master's, skills, job search and applications, further study and funding advice. Links to other articles

After your PhD

  • Your PhD, what next? Gives information to help you find a job – either in academia or a non-academic job, how to sell your PhD to employers
  • What can I do with my PhD? Academic jobs Skills and characteristics, career progression, job search and networking. Links to other articles 
  • Jobs on Toast Life after the PhD: Eight inspiring post-PhD interview websites