Age UK - Dementia Befriender
Details of the Charity:Share this
Be there when a lonely older person needs to talk. Be part of your community and provide vital support for older residents. Be inspired to raise money so more older people can get the help they deserve and need.
Whatever you choose to do, and however much time you have to give, you'll be making an incredible difference for older people at a time in their lives when they need help the most.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Call in time is a free telephone friendship service for people 60 and over. We'll match you up with a likeminded person who's keen to make a new friend, and every week they'll give you a call.
Not having someone to talk to regularly can be lonely, particularly if you're used to sharing your home and time with others. A friendly, 30-minute chat on the phone every week can make all the difference.
No formal experience needed, as all necessary training will be given, but you will need to have:
- Knowledge of Dementia or willingness to learn about Dementia
- Empathy and an understanding of issues facing people with dementia
- Patience and sensitivity
- Good interpersonal skills, confidence to be able to talk to a wide variety of people
- Ability to speak with those who may have impairments i.e. hard of hearing, limited sight
- A commitment to the role
- Clearly defined voluntary role within the organisation
- Provide induction, information and training and ongoing support to enable you to carry out your role effectively
- Provide you with the policies, procedures and standards of the organisation in relation to volunteers
- An accessible complaints procedure
- Provide references where needed after 6 months volunteering
- Out of pocket expenses