Alzheimers Society – Side by Side Volunteer (Islington)
Details of the Charity:Share this
By 2021, 1 million people will be living with the condition. But dementia won’t win. Until the day we find a cure, Alzheimer’s Society will be here for anyone affected by dementia – wherever they are, whatever they’re going through. Everything we do is informed and inspired by them.
We are the UK’s leading dementia charity. Every day, we work tirelessly to find new treatments and, ultimately, a cure for dementia. We provide expert information, training, and support services to all those who need our help. And we are creating a more dementia-friendly society so people with the condition can live without fear and prejudice.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
- Looking for volunteers to support people with dementia in Islington
- You will be joining a brand new Alzheimer’s Society service called Side by Side, which aims to help people with dementia to continue to do the things they love, with the support of a volunteer
- You could support a person with dementia to:
- go to their local park
- the cinema
- pick up an old hobby
- visit local museums
- try a new leisure activity
- We are looking for people who can volunteer during the day time Monday - Friday and are able to commit to two hours per week for a minimum of 6 months In order to promote stability for the person with dementia.
- No necessary prior knowledge of dementia
- Do need to be committed to learning more about dementia
- Have a drive to help someone with dementia to lead a better quality of life
*DBS needed – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Full training will be provided
- On-going supervision to support you in your volunteering role
- Hours recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute to your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.