Alzheimer's Society - Side by Side Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Alzheimer’s Society is the only UK charity that campaigns for change, funds research to find a cure and supports people living with dementia today. Dementia is the UK’s biggest killer. Someone develops it every three minutes and there’s currently no cure.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Do more. Explore more. Enjoy more. Sign up for Side by Side. This fun, friendly, super-flexible volunteering opportunity matches you with someone with dementia so you can help them keep on doing the things they love – and try new things too. That might be going to a football match. Catching the latest movie. A jog round the park, a splash in the pool, a mooch around the shops, a catch-up over coffee or supporting them to volunteer themselves. Whatever they’d like to do, together you decide where and when. One thing you can be sure of is bringing a lot of joy into someone’s life by empowering them to continue playing an active part in their community. With someone developing dementia every three minutes, there are nearly 1,000 people waiting for volunteers right now. Sign up for Side by Side and get ready to make a difference: not only to their lives, but to yours.
- Keen to participate in activities you share an interest in with a person with dementia to help them to keep doing the things they love – or pick up new ones!
- Wanting to support, enable and empower people with dementia
- Someone who is a good verbal communicator with great listening skills, especially face to face
- Someone happy volunteering on your own and keeping in touch with your team
- Can provide a committed, flexible approach
- A willingness to learn through face to face and online learning
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Essential learning & training to be complete before starting in your role will take about two and a half days.
- E-learning courses provided by SCIE and Alzheimer’s Society etc.
- Hours recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record.
- All hours contribute to your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.