BEfriend - Volunteer Befriender
Details of the Charity:Share this
BEfriend (formerly The Volunteer Link Scheme) is a registered charity (no 1072538) established in 1994. We provide one-to-one volunteer befriending to people within the London Borough of Ealing who are socially isolated because of physical, sensory, cognitive or psychological impairment.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a volunteer befriender you would visit a client once a week, usually at the same time and day, for up to 2 hours. Some clients are completely housebound, so visits will take place in their home and you can chat with them, listen to any concerns that they may have or maybe enjoy an activity like a crossword or playing a board game.
Volunteers are required to submit monthly report forms to keep us updated on your visits, and also to claim travel expenses.
We hold quarterly volunteer meetings, which involve food, drinks and a speaker. We also offer regular group supervision sessions for volunteers. Other relevant training is offered throughout the year.
- Good listening and communication skills
- To be non-judgmental in your attitude towards clients
- To ensure that you are reliable and punctual when visiting clients and returning your monthly monitoring forms
- To be conscientious with your volunteering and any follow up required for clients
- To have an understanding and empathy for this vulnerable client group
- Ability to work alone and cope well in one-to-one situations
- You will become part of a network of volunteers with regular training opportunties, meetings and social gatherings
- Volunteering hours to go towards the Brunel Volunteer Award