Blind Veterans UK - Home Visitor (BexleyHeath, Kent)
Details of the Charity:Share this
Blind Veterans UK supports anyone who has served in the Armed Forces, or who has done National Service, and who is now living with significant sight loss. We help blind ex-Service men and women lead independent and fulfilling lives by supporting them with our in-depth expertise, experience and full range of services.
We give veterans much-needed support to adjust to sight loss, overcome the challenges of blindness and enjoy daily life. Our charity has been offering physical and emotional support to vision-impaired veterans since 1915.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
What do you think about being a volunteer for one of our Blind Veterans who started his service in 1952? Do you like sports and play the guitar? This member’s new hobby is learning how to play the guitar, and he’s keen to find a volunteer to play with him. He’d also like to discuss a variety of topics – some of his interests being reading and all sports, particularly boxing. Hopefully you are the volunteer we are looking for.
By providing regular companionship, social interaction and building a positive one-to-one relationship you can help to reduce the effects of isolation so commonly experienced by our veterans. Your positivity, friendliness and communication can make the world of difference to their day lives.
- Volunteers need to be over the age of 18 years and able to travel independently to and from our veterans home
- Reliability, punctuality and trustworthiness are essential requirements for this role
- Good listening and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and relationship boundaries is key to this role
*DBS check required - provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- We will give you the necessary training, induction and support to be confident and enjoy your volunteering.
- Travel expenses reimbursed.
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May