Blind Veterans UK - Home Visitor (Hayes)
Details of the Charity:Share this
Blind Veterans UK supports anyone who has served in the Armed Forces, or who has done National Service, and who is now living with significant sight loss. We help blind ex-Service men and women lead independent and fulfilling lives by supporting them with our in-depth expertise, experience and full range of services.
We give veterans much-needed support to adjust to sight loss, overcome the challenges of blindness and enjoy daily life. Our charity has been offering physical and emotional support to vision-impaired veterans since 1915.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Our member has in the past enjoyed bowling with a local bowls club, and also music, films and reading. He needs a patient and understanding volunteer who can befriend someone who often feels lonely and isolated at weekends. Does this sound like you?
He has a guide dog and is also a smoker – though he will refrain from smoking while anyone is visiting if needed.
And what about his National Service? He has served briefly in Cyprus, Belize, and Jamaica before a short posting to Gibraltar.
By providing regular companionship, social interaction and building a positive one-to-one relationship you can help to reduce the effects of isolation so commonly experienced by our veterans. Your positivity, friendliness and communication can make the world of difference to their day lives.
- Volunteers need to be over the age of 18 years and able to travel independently to and from our veterans home
- Reliability, punctuality and trustworthiness are essential requirements for this role
- Good listening and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and relationship boundaries is key to this role
*DBS check required - provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- We will give you the necessary training, induction and support to be confident and enjoy your volunteering
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May