Blind Veterans UK - Home Visitor (Romford)
Details of the Charity:Share this
Blind Veterans UK supports anyone who has served in the Armed Forces, or who has done National Service, and who is now living with significant sight loss. We help blind ex-Service men and women lead independent and fulfilling lives by supporting them with our in-depth expertise, experience and full range of services.
We give veterans much-needed support to adjust to sight loss, overcome the challenges of blindness and enjoy daily life. Our charity has been offering physical and emotional support to vision-impaired veterans since 1915.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
This chatty 79 years old veteran would love to have someone to teach him German not only because he likes it, but also to keep his mind stimulated, one afternoon a week. Does this sound like you? He is very cheerful and social man who previously was a keen Fencing enthusiast and someone who loved driving and travelling generally. Our member has a big family: 2 daughters, 14 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. His wife is always around to assist him in and out of the house.
And what about this veteran’s National Service? He enlisted for a three-year short Service Commission, and after having left the Army our member remained within Accountancy and Business Consultancy for the rest of his working life.
By providing regular companionship, social interaction and building a positive one-to-one relationship you can help to reduce the effects of isolation so commonly experienced by our veterans. Your positivity, friendliness and communication can make the world of difference to their day lives.
- Volunteers need to be over the age of 18 years and able to travel independently to and from our veterans home.
- Reliability, punctuality and trustworthiness are essential requirements for this role.
- Good listening and interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and relationship boundaries is key to this role.
*DBS check required - provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- We will give you the necessary training, induction and support to be confident and enjoy your volunteering.
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May