Brightside – Online Mentor
Details of the Charity:Share this
Only one in nine children from low income backgrounds get into the top jobs. But that inequality doesn’t have to be inevitable.
Brightside is a social mobility organisation that supports young people all over the UK to make confident and informed decisions about their future. We do this through online mentoring. Using our bespoke, safe and secure online platform, mentors can communicate directly with their mentees to discuss education and career pathways, raise aspirations and confidence, and support them during key transition periods.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We want you to join our team of online mentors and support the young people who need it most. Develop your mentoring and communication skills and get experience working directly with young people.
Our mentors come from a range of backgrounds across various sectors and universities, but what they’ll all have in common is a passion for improving young people’s lives.
This is a flexible volunteering opportunity that you can fit around other commitments. All mentoring projects take place online, so you can mentor from anywhere and no travel is required!
- Attend at least one training session (delivered via webinar and usually 60-90 minutes)
- Commit to supporting up to 5 mentees
- Log in to the secure mentoring platform on average once a week at a time that suits you, responding to messages (approx. 30-90 minutes per week)
- Complete a DBS check (paid for by Brightside) if you don’t already have one.
- Good communication skills
- Passion to support young people
- Training provided (via webinar)
- Opportunity to continue volunteering with us with CPD
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.