Brunel West London Wheelchair Basketball Club – Club Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
We have started a community wheelchair basketball club (Brunel Bulls) for children and adults which is funded by Sport England. Our aim is to promote participation in this sport among people with disabilities. Our sessions runs every Thursday, 6-7.30PM for children, followed by 7.30-9PM for adults in the University Sports Centre, and we welcome people from across the community to take part.
As part of the project we are delivering outreach in local primary and secondary schools and in health care settings. We would like you to help us deliver our outreach program in partnership with our newly appointed coach. This is a good opportunity to work with people in the local community to raise awareness of disability sport and increase participation in the area.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The volunteer will be based predominately at Brunel University London, although some work will be done from home and some at client sites (schools and clinics).
The role includes:
- Co-facilitator: working in the children’s sessions alongside the coach to support the children to play and engage with the sport
- Admin tasks (optional): admin work, updating spreadsheets, filling out forms, sending out questionnaires, contacting venues, checking equipment, making enquiries and updating diary.
- Outreach tasks (optional): working alongside project coach to deliver wheelchair basketball in the community.
Hours per week may vary.
- Good with children
- Good organisational skills
- Admin skills
- Skills in website development (not necessary)
- People skills
- Good communicator
- Ideal for health care or sport science students who are interested in working within the interest of sport and disability.
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Free training on wheelchair basketball and can work towards coaching qualifications
- Experience working with clinicians and teachers as well as helping raise awareness of disability sport in West London
- Free t-shirt
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.