Exit Menu

Cardinal Hume Centre - English and Maths Support

Details of the Charity:

The Cardinal Hume Centre enables people to gain the skills they need to overcome poverty and homelessness.

We understand that those coming to us often have a range of needs. Working closely together, our specialist service teams provide clients with a tailored package of advice and practical support.

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

The Centre provides an after-school homework club in school term time for primary school children mostly from a low income, migrant background.  On a busy club, there can be 20 children! 

 What will I be doing?

Volunteers sit on a table with 1-2 children each and provide help with maths and English homework brought from school, and some reading.  Volunteers commit to one session a week on a Friday 3.30 – 5.30pm.  We plan to bring back Monday sessions as well at the same time.

 How does this role make a difference?

Homework Club is part of our delivery of child and family support services, in order that low income and vulnerable families have improved access to services, employment opportunities and life chances.

For how long?

We ask volunteers to commit to one academic term.  Two terms is ideal as you build up the relationship with staff, volunteers and children and it is more rewarding.

Skills Required:

  • You are friendly, patient and can build rapport with children easily
  • Able to help with maths and English at primary school level
  • You have some experience of engaging with primary aged children
  • Desirable – if you have some teaching experience or are doing a course in education than we would love to hear from you

Additional Benefits:

  • Volunteers are supported and work closely with our family support practitioners
  • You will have access to our online learning portal
  • Volunteering hours go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the UK
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?