DeafBlind UK - Remote Telephone Helpline Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
The DeafBlind UK exists because too many people live with deafblindness and are not getting the help they need. We show people that there can be a life beyond deafblindness.
Whether you need some support to get back on your feet after a diagnosis, a helping hand to help you do the things you love, someone to turn to when you’re feeling low or some information, advice and guidance, we’re here to help.
Losing your sight and hearing can be frightening. Our team of experts is here every step of the way to show you life beyond sight and hearing loss.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a Helpline Volunteer, you will assist with the incoming calls, texts, emails, and other forms of contact to the Helpline providing information and support to the people who contact us.
- Dealing with basic incoming contact and referring more complex issues to the Membership Services Officer
- Accurately recording information on our database
- Sending out information to our members, family, friends and professionals
- Keeping our information library up to date
- Researching new information to support people with a sight and hearing loss
What times do I need to commit to?
This role requires a regular weekly commitment of about 3 to 4 hours a week, between the hours of 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Thursday and 9 am to 4 pm on a Friday. You may be required to attend the odd meeting or training session.
The role will suit people who:
- Are confident on the telephone
- Can communicate in text and email
- Can show empathy and understanding
- Are self-motivated with the ability to work on their initiative
- Have Basic admin and good IT skills
- Are open-minded and non-judgemental
- Are patient and willing to listen to people who may be going through a difficult time
- Aged 18 and over
- Based in the UK
- Have access to the internet and a device to complete Deafblind UK online volunteer training (approximately 2-3 hours)
- Can commit to the role for at least three months
- Experience of an office environment that can be added to your CV
- Being part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Volunteering hours go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award