Groundwork South – Visitor Centre Information Assistant
Details of the Charity:Share this
Groundwork is passionate about creating a future where everywhere is vibrant and green, every community is strong and able to shape its own destiny and where everyone can reach their potential.
We manage the Colne Valley Park Visitor Centre, located in Denham Country Park Uxbridge, which is the central information point for the whole of the Colne Valley Regional Park.
The projects and events we run at the park include large-scale programmes such as educational projects in our floating classroom – exploring the canal and the landscape camera project, documenting the park and looking at the changes from the photos taken in the 1980s. While hosting a stream of smaller events throughout the year such as river dipping workshops, guided walks and the annual summer festival.
We are the managing agents to the Community Interest Company and work with the Friends of Colne Valley Park and other partners to maintain and enhance the park.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Working at the Colne Valley Visitor Centre requires you to be the face of Centre, answering visitors’ queries and questions, and being dedicated to giving the best experience possible.
Responsibilities will vary day-to-day but will include supporting the staff; talking to the public’s questions about the park, walking routes, events, birthday parties and room hire; engaging with the public; and taking payment for equipment hire.
The centre is based in Denham, a twenty minute walk from Denham Station or the bus stop, through the picturesque Denham village and is a beautiful place to volunteer. There is ample parking and it is easily accessible from all major roads and is a fifteen minute drive from Uxbridge.
We require volunteers to commit to work at least one shift a month, but can be fully flexible to suit other commitments, such as work, childcare, study and hobbies.
- Willing to learn
- Able to work using own initiative
- Able to work within a team
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiastic and confident, functioning as the first point of contact
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free training provided
- Excellent support from staff
- A chance to gain experience in a fun and friendly workplace
- Free parking
- Discount in Café
- Reference for future employment available
- Fully flexible working hours
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony