Groundwork South Trust Limited – Nature Conservation Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
We work towards a future of sustainable communities which are vibrant, healthy and safe, which respect the local and global environment and where individuals and enterprise can prosper.
We have a proven track record in environmental and social regeneration providing high quality sustainable projects across the South of England.
We know that real change requires action on many different fronts. That’s why we work hand-in-hand with communities to:
- Create and improve green spaces for community benefit and to reconnect people with nature
- Provide training and support to help those furthest from the job market back into work, especially young people
- Promote greener living and working to help families and individuals save money and reduce waste
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Tasks vary depending on the reserve and the time of the year. In the winter, planting and coppicing trees is the main priority. In the spring, we normally sow wildflower seeds, and in the summer and autumn, we repair any non-urgent infrastructure, e.g. fences and handrails.
Sessions run one weekend a month. On the Saturday, we visit Allen’s Field in South Ascot from 9.30-12.30. Then from 13.00-16.00, we are at Arthur Jacobs Nature Reserve near Slough. On the Sunday, from 9.30-12.30 we are at Hardings Row in Iver Heath, and we rotate between four woodland sites in Denham every month for the Sunday afternoon session.
Volunteers are welcome to come to as many, or as few, sessions as they would like. We ask that the you bring your own water and lunch, and dress appropriately for the weather with thick, sturdy shoes.
- No knowledge or prior experience of practical conservation work is needed
- We just ask that people are enthusiastic!
- Refreshments and snacks are provided
- Tools and gloves are provided
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R transcript – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony given that you submit your timesheets to us on a monthly basis.