H4All - Dementia Befriender
Details of the Charity:Share this
H4All CIO is a Charitable incorporated Organisation (CIO) made up of five prominent third sector charities: Age UK Hillingdon, DASH, Hillingdon Carers, Harlington Hospice and Hillingdon Mind. H4All CIO is a partner in the local Hillingdon Health and Care Partnership (HHCP) which includes the Hillingdon Primary Care Confederation as well as the local NHS foundation trusts providing community care services and acute hospital care.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Dementia Befriending Services provide a regular supportive service to people aged 65+ who have been diagnosed with dementia and are lonely and isolated. It can take place in their own homes or in the community. The service aims to improve their quality of life and wellbeing and enables them to maintain their independence.
The role involves visiting someone in their own home at least once a week for 1-2 hours, at a time that is suitable for the older person.
These activities vary according to the needs of the person living with dementia, but may include:
- Talking with the client and reminiscing with them about their past.
- Engage in activities and hobbies in the home.
- Providing companionship to alleviate isolation.
- Assisting and supporting with getting out and about to groups, museums and other activities in the community.
- Going on walks.
- Referring issues or concerns regarding the client’s wellbeing to the project co-ordinator in order to signpost the client to appropriate services
No formal experience needed, as all necessary training will be given, but you will need to have:
- Knowledge of Dementia or willingness to learn about Dementia
- Empathy and an understanding of issues facing people with dementia
- Patience and sensitivity
- Good interpersonal skills, confidence to be able to talk to a wide variety of people
- Ability to speak with those who may have impaitments i.e. hard of hearing, limited sight
- A regular commitment of at least 1-2 hours per week for a minimum of 12 months
- DBS check required (provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers)
- Provide induction, information and training and ongoing support to enable you to carry out your role effectively
- References provided where needed after 6 months volunteering
- Clearly defined voluntary role within the organisation
- Out of pocket expenses