Hillingdon Autistic Care & Support - Social Wise Youth Worker
Details of the Charity:Share this
Hillingdon Autistic Care & Support is a registered charity which was set up in 1997 by parents and carers within the London Borough of Hillingdon who had a member of their family on the autism spectrum. The Charity first operated from a small portakabin on the grounds of a specialist school in Hillingdon, run by volunteers. Over the years, HACS has grown from a small grass-roots parent support group to an organisation receiving core funding from the London Borough of Hillingdon and 3 major grant funders, with a team of seven Resource Centre staff members and over 80 Recreation staff.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for confident volunteers who are dedicated to supporting autistic people aged between 10-18 years with their social communication. You will learn the different strategies for social communication and get the opportunity to join in with a range of different activities designed to support social communication.
This will include:
- acting out different social situations
- supporting young people to engage
- following requests / instruction from a speech and language therapist
Wednesday's 4pm - 4:45pm or 5pm - 5:45pm
Will need to attend interview on: Wednesday 22nd Jan and will need to attend training on: Monday 27th January 2pm - 4pm
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards the Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May