Exit Menu

Hillingdon Carers - IT Surgery Volunteer

Details of the Charity:

Hillingdon Carers is an independent charity that delivers a wide range of local support services to meet the needs of unpaid carers in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

Our services included:

  • Information, advice and support for carers of all ages
  • Health and Wellbeing Services for adult carers
  • Young Carers Services

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

We are looking for a volunteer to help a new initiative – the Carers’ IT Surgery. This will offer Carers a 45 minute  1:1 session with a Volunteer who can help them with their basic difficulties on their laptop or tablet. We would like someone for one morning a month in the first instance which can be reviewed after 3 months. You will be reporting to the Caring Connections Development Officer

  • Meeting a carer and listening to their IT problems
  • Understanding how overcoming this problem can assist them in everyday life
  • Instructing them in simple terms, on how to access the information they need or the task they wish to complete
  • Writing some steps on paper for the carer to take away

Skills Required:

  • Has excellent verbal communication skills
  • Has a good understanding of using a laptop, tablet, Microsoft Office, the internet
  • Enjoys explaining technical and  IT-related task to people face to face
  • Ideally has experience of supporting people in a learning environment
  • Pays attention to detail
  • Is empathetic to the needs and motivations of Carers
  • Understand the importance of confidentiality

Additional Benefits:

  • Travel expenses reimbursed
  • Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
  • All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?