Hillingdon Women's Centre – Career Development Workshop Facilitator
Details of the Charity:Share this
The Hillingdon Women’s Centre is dedicated to promoting the empowerment of women through friendship, opportunity, practical support and advice.
We strive to provide a welcoming haven where women are safe to share their experiences, heal and be supported in all endeavours of their choosing.
At HWC, women are supported by other women to get onto chosen career paths, get legal advice, emotional support, counselling and much more.
Hillingdon Women’s Centre has been supporting and empowering women for 29 years and also encourages service user involvement in the development of its groups, activities and services.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for volunteers to facilitate and provide support for the career development workshop attendees, delivering and working through the workshop materials.
Main activities include:
- Facilitating the development of an attendee’s SMART objectives for getting into work
- Promoting confidence in learning, using one to one person centred methods
- Assisting with general running of the workshop
- Assisting attendees with the workshop materials
- Promoting a comfortable learning environment
- Representing the Women’s Centre in an appropriate manor by adhering to all equality and diversity guidelines
- Complying with all policies and procedures
- Working within strict Confidentiality guidelines
We ask for a minimum time commitment of 3.5 hours per week in one shift. This will be Monday mornings 10:00-13:00. You must be able to commit to 5 consecutive weeks, completing the whole time span of the workshop.
You must complete mandatory training (provided or organised by HWC) covering:
- Centre induction
- Health and safety
- Basic IT
- Equality and diversity
- Communication skills
The support and supervision available include:
- Centre Executive/Centre Coordinator will explain the standards expected for HWC services and to encourage and support you to achieve and maintain them
- Will meet with you regularly to discuss your volunteering and any successes and problems
- Do their best to help you develop your volunteering role with HWC
You will be responsible to the Centre Executive/Board of Director Trustees.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Patience and empathy
- Flexible methods of assistance to meet the needs of varying abilities and learning pace
- Confidence and knowledge about career development
- Ability to present themselves in a professional manner
- Travel expenses entitlement of up to £7.50 a week travel
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May.