Home Start Hillingdon - Trustee
Details of the Charity:Share this
Home-Start Hillingdon (HSH) was established in 1999, to serve the borough of Hillingdon supporting families with young children through dedicated home-visiting volunteers. HSH trains volunteers to support families with at least one child under five and under stress. All family support volunteers have parenting experience so understand the challenges of parenting young children. Volunteers make a weekly visit home visit to a family to give befriending support and practical help.
HSH volunteers can offer:
- Precious time for listening and talking
- Practical help & play with children
- Reassurance that their challenges are not unique
- A chance to meet other parents in the same boat
- Support to use local services and resources
- Support to reclaim fun in family life
Parents can find it hard to cope and ask for Home-Start help for many reasons, including:
- Parent or child's physical or mental illness
- Children with additional needs eg. Autism
- Emotional & phyical demands of multiple birth or large family
- Financial difficulties
HSH support is free, confidential, and non-judgemental, and helps increase the confidence and independence of families by encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their children.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
With other Home-Start Hillingdon trustees, to guide and govern the charity, ensuring that the scheme complies with all legal and regulatory requirements, the objects of the charity, the governing documents including the Home-Start Standards and Methods of Practice and the Agreement and quality standards. Trustees can expect to spend around 12 hours a month on this rewarding role, including evening Board meetings (approx 10 per year).
In particular, Home-Start Hillingdon is seeking confident people with financial, human resource, safeguarding, legal, fundraising, commercial, or IT skills & experience, or who have a professional interest or background in family welfare.
*DBS check required - provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Satisfaction from helping families
- Training & occasional social opportunities
- Experience of family work
- Regular support and supervision
- Hours volunteers will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony