Exit Menu

Hounslow Action for Youth – Youth Mentor (Mash Up Memoir)

Details of the Charity:

Hounslow Action for Youth Association is a charity set up in 1986 to provide children and young adults in the London Borough of Hounslow with activities to divert them from crime and to give them essential life skills.

In collaboration with other organisations and agencies, we develop and run programmes for vulnerable young people, especially those at risk of social exclusion, being taken into residential care or custody.

We develop early intervention initiatives for young people at risk of being socially marginalised. The range of projects developed and run by HAY is unique in that it provides support for children, young people and families all the way from the pre-school years through to young adulthood and beyond, with emphasis on prevention through early intervention wherever possible.

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

Volunteers will work at our high specification youth centre’s innovative, new creative writing project for young women.

Volunteers are required to support our ‘Mash Up Memoir’ project that takes place every Friday from 5:00-6:00 PM.  (The Hanworth Centre, 64 Hounslow Road, Hounslow, TW13 6QQ).

Youth Work Leaders are always on site and available to support volunteers.

Skills Required:

  • Good communication skills and ability to empathise with vulnerable young people
  • Undergraduates or graduates in English, writing, literature, or related fields preferred, but not required

Additional Benefits:

  • Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed
  • On going training provided (with access to external training also available)
  • Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
  • All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?