Hounslow Action for Youth – Youth Mentors
Details of the Charity:Share this
Hounslow Action for Youth Association is a charity set up in 1986 to provide children and young adults in the London Borough of Hounslow with activities to divert them from crime and to give them essential life skills.
In collaboration with other organisations and agencies, we develop and run programmes for vulnerable young people, especially those at risk of social exclusion, being taken into residential care or custody.
We develop early intervention initiatives for young people at risk of being socially marginalised. The range of projects developed and run by HAY is unique in that it provides support for children, young people and families all the way from the pre-school years through to young adulthood and beyond, with emphasis on prevention through early intervention wherever possible.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
- Provide emotional support and encouragement to socially excluded young people who are at risk of anti-social behaviour.
- Provide support at one of our after school youth club sessions that take place week days and weekends.
- Be required up to 2-3 hours, once or twice each week.
This role will provide valuable support to disadvantaged young people and help to divert them from anti-social behaviour and crime and improve their life chances.
The Centre is a short bus ride from Hounslow East station.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to empathise with vulnerable young people
- Interest in working within this field would be nice but not necessary
- Volunteers will receive an induction and training from the Chief Executive and Youth Work Leaders.
- Volunteers will be supported at all youth work sessions by qualified and experienced Senior Youth Workers.
- Travel paid for
- All hours will be added to your HEAR and contribute to your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May