Exit Menu

Hounslow Action for Youth- Volunteer Mentor

Details of the Charity:

Hounslow Action for Youth is an award-winning charity providing a range of free and low-cost services for disadvantaged children and young people aged 0-19 who live in the London borough of Hounslow.


Our aim is to build the capabilities of disadvantaged children and young people so that they understand their true worth and abilities and are able to fully engage with education and embark on a path of positive learning and development. We provide cradle to career services, meeting the needs of young people at key milestones, supporting them every step of the way on their journey of transformation. 

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

Volunteer Mentors will support creative writing workshops for young women.

Main tasks:

  •   Support young women at the workshops, encouraging them to talk about their ideas and how to craft their writing
  •   Assist with typing and editing the young women’s work.
  •   Support  workshop facilitators with any administration duties


This a 5 month project so we would   like volunteers to commit for the duration of the project if possible. Volunteers will be required to attend workshops at the Hanworth Centre on Tuesdays, 6.30pm to 7.30pm.


Skills Required:

  • Must be of undegraduate or postgraduate level in Women’s  Studies, Creative Writing, or a similar discipline.
  • Strong communication skills
  • Good IT skills
  • Good orgnanisation skills

A DBS check is required (provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers).

Additional Benefits:

  • Reimbursed travel expenses.
  • Project induction and weekly support from the workshop facilitator.
  • Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record.
  • All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?