Isleworth & Syon School - Trustee (Brunel staff only)
Details of the Charity:Share this
We are a converter academy, formerly a voluntary controlled school. We value achievement and diversity, seeing ourselves as a place of learning dedicated to academic, creative and sporting success and the development of the whole person. We endeavour to sustain an ethos of a civilised community that enables industrious and imaginative learning to flourish in an atmosphere of well-being and purposeful activity. We aim to provide the best educational opportunities for every individual student, irrespective of race, cultural background, religion or gender.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The governing board provides strategic leadership and accountability in schools. It has three essential functions:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its students
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
Trustees set the aims and objectives for the school and set the policies and targets for achieving those aims and objectives. They monitor and evaluate the school's progress and act as a source of challenge and support to the Headteacher. In action, this means:
- Appointing and performance reviewing the Headteacher and senior leaders, including making decisions about pay
- Managing budgets and deciding how money is spent
- Engaging with students, staff, parents and the school community
- Sitting on panels and making decisions about things like student exclusions and staff disciplinary matters
- Addressing a range of education issues within the school, including disadvantaged students, students with special needs, staff workload and teacher recruitment
- Looking at data and evidence to ask questions and have challenging conversations about the school
The average time commitment is around five to eight hours per term. This includes meetings, background reading and school visits (COVID-19 restrictions allowing). As well as full board meetings (one per term), we have two key committees (which also meet termly) and link governor roles to which you may like to contribute.
We would welcome a trustee with a broad range of skills. It is not necessary to have an educational background. However, you should have experience and skills in one or more of the areas below and be prepared to develop your skills over time.
- Strategic leadership
- People management or HR
- Resource management
We are not seeking a trustee with any specific skill set. Should you be unsure if your skills would be suitable please feel free to contact the school to discuss further.
- Free Trustee training
- Opportunity to be part of an Academy Board