Kith and Kids – Football Mentors
Details of the Charity:Share this
Kith & Kids aim is to empower families who have a son or daughter with a learning disability or autism (many also have a physical or sensory disability) to overcome their social exclusion. Found over 40 years ago by just two sets of parents, we have grown and adapted over the years to the changing needs of families whilst maintaining the quality of our services.
Throughout the year we provide a variety of volunteer-supported projects and services, offering opportunities to learn new skills, make new friends, go out and have fun. The person with a disability being the focus of our activities, we design individual-needs based projects and services that provide him or her with much needed social interaction and a sense of “normal” life that most of us take for granted.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
A chance to play with Kith and Kids United! We’re looking for volunteers to help out with a football team of enthusiastic young adults with learning disabilities.
We run weekly training sessions every Wednesday evening 6.30pm – 8.15pm during term time. We meet at our headquarters in North London and then go to a nearby gym to train.
At the end of term we have a social/prize giving evening and we are also aiming to arrange a tournament with similar organisations each term.
Our football team is very popular with our members as it gives them the chance to work on their teamwork and social skills, while enjoying a good game of football!
The role of the volunteer in these sessions is not only to help all participants to take part in the fitness activities but also to encourage teamwork and help them develop their social skills.
- Previous experience working with people with disabilities is not required, as training will be provided.
- It is preferable if volunteers have played football before, and have an understanding of the rules and skills required.
- Enthusiasm for the role is considered more important than any football abilities!
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R - which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony