Leonard Cheshire- Digital Inclusion Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
We support individuals to live, learn and work as independently as they choose, whatever their ability. Led by people with experience of disability, we are at the heart of local life — opening doors to opportunity, choice and support in communities around the globe.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Do you know how to use Skype? Do you do your shopping online? Are you able to share your IT skills to enable disabled people to discover the benefits of IT? We need friendly, patient people with a basic knowledge of IT to go out and about, supporting disabled people to access the digital world.
This role includes:
- Helping clients set up and get started on their IT equipment.
- Providing ongoing phone support and training to clients who require it.
- Troubleshooting IT issues.
- Helping clients use adaptive software & hardware.
- Encouraging disabled people to feel confident in using computer technology.
- Supporting clients with basic IT skills such as using the internet.
This is an ad hoc commitment, depending on the requirements of the client. A minimum of 3 months commitment and a minimum of 4 hours per month.
This role requires 2 references and a DBS check (provided without cost by Brunel Volunteers).
- General IT Skills
- Good listening and explaining skills
- Good communicator
- Willing to support choice and independence for disabled people
- Non-judgemental, empathetic and patient.
- Training provided (onoing and tailored depending on your needs).
- Reimbursed expenses (if agreed in advance).
- Experience in training people and working with disabled people.
- Learn about assistive technology.
- Use your IT skills to support a disabled person, keep in touch with their loved ones and pursure their interests.
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record.
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May.