Hillingdon Heritage - Project Cataloguing Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Hillingdon Heritage also manages the Battle of Britain Bunker Visitor Centre, Archives, and Museum collection. We are located on Level 6 of Uxbridge library where you are welcome to visit our permanent exhibition, 'A History of Hillingdon in 100 objects.' The local studies search room is available for visitors to come and learn more about the local area and learn more about their family history. Our museum collection comprises of over 3,000 museum objects ranging from prehistoric mammoth teeth to pub signs. We also have a wide photographic collection, in addition to our extensive archival collection including, but not limited to, items such as maps, 1/4 inch reel tapes and council minutes. Our collection is stored both on and off-site and can be view upon request.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Hillingdon Women's Centre has recently donated its large historic collection to the Hillingdon Local Studies, Archives and Museum service. This project intends to see this collection accessioned, catalogued into adlib and repackaged according to best archival practice. The assistant will work alongside the Archives Officer, half a day a week for 3 months, or until the project is complete.
This will also be a great opportunity to help contribute towards social history in the borough collection.
Please send CVs with a short covering statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hillingdon Council is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion and we welcome applications from all backgrounds.
- No prior knowledge of cataloguing standards is required as support and training will be provided.
- This project will be suitable for a future archivist or records manager as the collection will need various financial and business records with particular data protection closure dates.
- Attention to detail and basic research skills are essential for this project.
- Tea and coffee will be supplied and the opportunity to join the social events of the wider Borough volunteers such as quiz nights and involvement with events at the Battle of Britain Bunker.
- Hours volunteers will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record.
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.