London Transport Museum - Learning Volunteer (Primary Schools)
Details of the Charity:Share this
London Transport Museum encourages visitors to engage with the past, present and future of London’s transport through the learning programmes at the Museum in Covent Garden, the Depot in Acton, and through outreach work across London.
Discover the wonder of the London Transport Museum’s collection with children aged three to eleven by volunteering with the Primary Schools Programme. We provide inspirational, hands-on workshops facilitated by an expert team of staff and volunteers. Joining our team will give you the opportunity to support and encourage some of our youngest visitors to get the most out of London Transport Museum’s collection, ensuring their visit is fun, interactive and well-organised.
When: Monday to Fridays during term time
Where: London Transport Museum, Covent Garden
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a volunteer supporting the primary schools programme you will:
- Support an expert facilitator with the delivery of primary school sessions
- Interact with children aged three to eleven years’ old
- Discover the amazing history, science, art and stories captured through the Museum’s collection
- Encourage children and adults to join in enthusiastically with singing, actions and movement games (for All Aboard nursery sessions)
- Get hands-on with the Museum’s handling collection
- Inspire and engage the next generation!
There will be opportunities to get involved with other areas of the Museum’s programming for schools, including sessions for early years and students with special educational needs, and workshops for primary and secondary schools at the Museum’s Depot in Acton.
- A friendly, enthusiastic and approachable manner
- Some experience or a strong interest in engaging with children
- Good communication skills and an ability to interact with people of different ages and backgrounds
- An interest in learning through creative activity
- Training and continual professional development (through varied volunteer roles)
- New skills and greater confidence
- Experience in working with children in a museum and heritage setting
- Being part of a great team delivering our most interactive session
- Expenses - travel (up to £17) and lunch (up to £5) are reimbursed
- Regular volunteer networking events
- References for other volunteer or employment opportunities