Look Ahead Care, Housing and Support – Befriender
Details of the Charity:Share this
Look Ahead is a non for profit housing association. We support people across the following vulnerabilities, young people, care leavers, mother and babies, complex needs, learning disabilities, mental health and substance misuse.
We have over 100 services that range from hostel based accommodation and floating support. We have over 1000 staff and 6000 customers. Our strategy around supporting customers is co-production. We ensure our customers are not passive recipients and use their lived experience and knowledge to shape how we are as an organisation and the service we provide.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Befriending Volunteers will:
- Support customers and provide practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills
- Assist staff with wellbeing and health and safety checks
- Enable customers to make full use of community facilities by providing support as directed by supervisor or support staff
- Support customers to attend GP and health appointments and religious services as directed
- Support customers to integrate into the community including e.g. accompanying the customer to enquire information at colleges at possible courses
- Support customers to go shopping for food, clothes etc.
- Assist customers in budgeting and money management, paying bills etc.
- Maintain records as required under the direction of Look Ahead colleagues and management
- Providing customers with companionship e.g. accompanying customers to visit relatives, go out walking
- Planning groups, day trips and outings
- Encourage customers to take interest in and undertake basic sports, creative and arts activities
Time commitment: 4 hours per week minimum. Days and times to be agreed with Volunteering Officer and supervisor.
- DBS check needed – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free training
- Volunteering activity will be recorded on your H.E.A.R transcript – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony