Manor Farm Library - Code Club
Details of the Charity:Share this
Manor Farm Library is a busy Library for the London Borough of Hillingdon, set in Ruislip. The library is set within the Manor Farm Historical complex. The library provides an extensive range of books available for loan on a vast number of subjects, online resources accessible via the website, free Wi-Fi use, a large number of bookable computers, computer taster and practice sessions, a range of reading groups, creative writing groups, Storytime for the under 5’s, and coffee mornings.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for enthusiastic people with good ICT skills to help run a code club for young people aged 8-11 at Manor Farm Library. Duties and responsibilities:
- Assisting the library staff in providing a code club for children, designing simple scratch programmes and facilitating the children’s skills in computer coding.
- The Code club has traditionally run after school on Mondays for up to 8 children, over a 6 week programme.
- The Library is flexible around the date and timing of a club. We are looking for volunteers who feel confident in instructing young people in the use of code. Library Staff lack the requisite skills to presently run a basic code club.
- Good level of ICT skills, including coding platform such as Scratch.
- Confident and enthusiastic about using computers and the Internet.
- Able to advise and show Young people how to use technology
- Able to explain instructions clearly
- Able to get on with it and work without supervision but will ask for support when needed
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May