Exit Menu

National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) – Independent Visitor

Details of the Charity:

The National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) is a rights based charity which operates across England and Wales for children, young people, and adults.

NYAS offers a variety of services including:

  • A national advocacy helpline
  • Advocacy for children in care and those in need – including children subject to child protection plans, care leavers, children and young people with disabilities.
  • The provision of independent visitors for children in care
  • Legal representation of children in private family law
  • Advocacy to adults in-inpatient mental health settings

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

Our Independent Visitor Programme matches volunteers with children and young people who are particularly vulnerable. Each volunteer is matched with a child or young person in care in their local area.

Our volunteers commit to spending time with their young person about 1 – 4 hours per month, as a mentor / befriender.

As a volunteer you will:

  • Have fun and take young people on outings and maybe share a hobby, sport or interest
  • Offer support and a listening ear
  • Be a positive influence in a young person’s life and help build self-esteem and confidence

Skills Required:

  • Good listener
  • Committed and reliable
  • Able to engage directly with children
  • Able to share an activity every month
  • Can provide mentoring
  • Present as a positive role model
  • Offers advice where appropriate
  • Reliable and dependable
  • Has fun!

Additional Benefits:

  • Travel expenses reimbursed
  • Free training and development opportunities
  • Regular support and supervision
  • Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record.
  • All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?