Oak Farm Library – Code Club Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Oak Farm Library is a public community library serving the Hillingdon Community. Newly refurbished it boasts new shelving. Starbucks facilities and meeting room for hire. Oak Farm has a large selection of children's and adults books, both fiction and non-fiction. Wi-fi is also available.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Code Clubs have been running at Oak Farm Library for the last couple of years. The Clubs are split in two groups: Newbies and Wizards.
Newbies – Mondays, 16:15 – 17:15, for children between 9-11 years old, aimed to children who have little or no experience in coding and we use Scratch (simple programming language) for the projects.
Wizards – Saturdays, 14:15 – 15:15, for children aged between 10-12 years old, aimed at children confident with scratch, looking to build their skills with more challenging projects.
- Teaching children how to program by showing them how to make computer games, animations and websites.
- Helping to set up before the session and tidying up after the club is finished
- Report to the person in charge on the day, but the library Branch Manager/Homework Club Manager would oversee your work generally.
When you would be needed:
You will need to attend regularly to ensure club participants are provided with continuity of support on:
- A regular basis after school
- A set day when the Code Club runs
- Good IT skills
- Able to relate well to children, young people and their carers
- Committed to safeguarding children and young people
- Patient and able to explain things clearly
- Able to commit to a regular time slot
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Local travel expenses paid for
- 1/2 price on Starbucks drinks and refreshments sold in the library
- Training and resources provided to run the sessions
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Awards, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony