Otermans Institute - AI and Data Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Otermans Institute (OI) provides transferable and employability skills training to some of the more disadvantaged students in ten countries globally including Iraq, Nepal, Bangladesh, and India. We are also contracted with local governments and currently impact 30,000+ pupils in the region.
Physical training has taken a back foot due to COVID-19, but OI continues supporting students weekly through live digital sessions. Through this, we are supporting leaners who are forced out of school due to the pandemic, those who are in extremely remote locations, and those who have been affected by violence and war like refugees in United Nations camps.
In this volunteering opportunity you will learn while you create impact in society. You will receive specific training on how to deliver online training to non-native English speakers and learners with special needs (certificate provided).
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We have developed an AI technology that provides online education materials in sign language. This not only provides educational training but also translates pre-recorded spoken work like videos into sign language using an avatar. This could directly serve 11 million people with hearing disabilities in the UK alone by removing the digital glass wall that impedes accessibility to online learning. From a global perspective, it can support over 420 million people a year today.
The volunteers will support us to engage with learners who have hearing impairment, helping them understand our provision and ultimately allow us provide this service for free to at least 1000 persons with hearing disability in the UK in 2021/22. By doing this, the volunteers will not only make the lives of 1000 people better, but also help establish a technological model that could also be used by other organisations to help and support thousands of other people around the world with hearing impairment.
- Working with/designing AI models
- Collecting data
- Creating/cleaning data models
- Corroborating and analysing data
- Proofreading of written work
- Analysing literature (brief)
- Writing impact pieces
- Attending regular team meetings for training and to discuss work, provide peer support and plan ahead
- Human-centred AI user testing
Other roles may include:
- Brainstorming ideas for product development
- Being the first to test product like AI app
- Other supporting tasks
Training sessions will be provided to the volunteers on specific skills that are needed so that they can excel in their roles for the company and also develop essential job skills for the future.
- Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Organised and self-motivated
- Good written communication skills
- Understanding of data analysis skills
- Some experience working in a team in professional or voluntary capacity
- Interest in education and technology
- Understanding or experience of education and/or the digital world is beneficial
- Able to use initiative and manage small projects independently
- Some understanding of coding
- Free training
- Volunteering hours go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award