Exit Menu

Royal National Institute of Blind People – Roaming Technology Support

Details of the Charity:

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) are here for everyone affected by sight loss. Over 3500 volunteers are involved in: stopping people losing their sight unnecessarily, supporting more people to live independently, and creating an inclusive society sooner for everyone.

Volunteers work with blind and partially sighted people in their homes and the community, as well as at RNIB offices. Volunteers are involved in many different projects from service deliver, to planning and user participation.

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

  • Provide one-to-one support to people with sight loss
  • Visiting them in their own homes to help them get the most out of technology
  • May help customers set up a new device, trouble shoot problems or learn new features
  • You will support people local to you – managing your own time commitment and choosing the requests for assistance you feel you can support.

Skills Required:

  • A natural enthusiasm for technology and the internet
  • A friendly, personable approach
  • A problem-solving mindset
  • The ability to adapt to different needs and different styles of learning
  • Patience and perserverance

*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers

Additional Benefits:

  • Travel expenses reimbursed
  • Understanding sight loss learning pack
  • Technology volunteer handbook
  • Distance learning opportunities
  • Ongoing support from staff and other volunteers
  • A simple online system for responding to customer requests in your local area
  • Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
  • All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?