Save The Children – Local Campaign Activist (Uxbridge & South Ruislip)
Details of the Charity:Share this
Save The Children promotes childrens’ rights, provides relief and help support children in developing countries. In this, our centenary year, we have made three key pledges:
- Tackling Pneumonia – working with others to eradicate the world’s biggest killer of children by 2030
- Delivering Early Learning – ensuring that all children have access to high quality learning in their early years by 2030
- Protecting Children in War – saving children in war zones and striving for justice against those who attack them
Our three key campaigns involve:
- Safeguarding Britain’s commitment to spend 0.7% of its Gross Domestic Product to provide humanitarian aid to developing nations
- Seek a ceasefire to hostilities in Yemen and provide emergency supplies to hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians caught up in the crisis
- Push for the introduction of an early years teacher in every nursery in the most deprived parts of the country
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Volunteers will be required to commit just a few hours a month in supporting the local Save The Children group with organising and partaking in campaign events. Such events include street stalls, fundraising, lobbying our local MPs and much more.
Our key campaign is currently to lobby the UK Government to take more action in attempting to end hostilities in Yemen and do more to support our organisation’s efforts to deliver aid to a country currently experiencing the worst cholera outbreak in history.
The aim of this local group is to raise public awareness around the situation in Yemen and use the power of petitioning to influence our local MP and Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, into taking meaningful action.
We believe that the UK Government should stop the sale of arms to the Saudi Arabian led coalition partaking in the Yemenese civil war and pressurise the parties involved to seek an end to hostilities. This will allow aid to be reached more easily to millions of sick and displaced adults and children.
This group is based locally in the Uxbridge area with events likely to take place at popular locations such as Uxbridge Town Centre or Brunel University.
- Positive attitude
- Passion for Save The Children’s campaigns
- Outgoing personality and happy to engage the public at campaign events
- Commitment to attend and partake in local events
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Volunteering experience gained from one of the UK’s most highly regarded charities
- Helping raise public awareness around campaigns that aid children in desperate situations across the world
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered contributes towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony