The Mix – Digital Connector
Details of the Charity:Share this
The Mix is here to help young people take on the embarrassing problems, weird questions, and “please-don’t-make-me-say-it-out-loud thoughts” that they have. From mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drug. The Mix is here to help 25s and under anywhere and anytime; online, over the phone or via social media.
Whether it is by digesting our articles and videos, talking with others going through similar situations on forums and group chats, or seeking support with trained volunteers and counsellors over the phone; The Mix is a multi-channel service dedicated to giving young people the information and support they need to make the best decisions.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a remote Digital Connector, you will take web chats from our service users from the comfort of your own home. You’ll provide emotional support and be the vital missing link between their issues and help they need. We don’t provide advice and on-going support to our service users – we aim to empower them with the support and information they need.
- Taking web-chats from young people
- Provide them with emotional support
- One regular shift a week
- Shifts take place between 11am – 11pm for 3 hours
- Minimum of 1 year commitment
- No prior experience needed
- Able to empathise with young people and provide non-judgemental emotional support without advising or direction them
- Our Helpline is service user-led so you’ll need to be committed to the idea of empowering young people with the support and information they need to make their own decisions
- Able to remain calm and professional under pressure
- Comfortable using a computer accessing programmes like Skype and our web based Helpline systems
- Computer with internet access and headphones or headset with a microphone
- Full training provided
- Throughout training and whilst volunteering you’ll have regular feedback from staff that will enable you to develop in this role
- Regular contact to ensure your own self-care is supported
- Experience of providing direct support to young people across a range of issues
- Reference provided upon request confirming role and length of volunteering
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony