Uxbridge Library – Digital Drop-In
Details of the Charity:Share this
Uxbridge Library is the main central Library for the London Borough of Hillingdon. The library provides an extensive range of books available for loan on a vast number of subjects, online resources accessible via the website, free Wi-Fi use, a large number of bookable computers, computer taster and practice sessions, a range of reading groups, creative writing groups, bear club for the under 5’s, and advice sessions and coffee mornings.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for enthusiastic people with good ICT skills to help members of the public use the library computers and the Internet.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assisting the library staff in providing a basic introduction to the computer for those who have not used a computer before.
- Assisting the library staff in providing instructions on using the internet, setting up email accounts, using Microsoft Office packages, using iMacs
- Promoting the library’s online services and other aspects of the library service to our computer users.
Uxbridge Library runs a monthly Digital Drop In on the first and third Friday of the month as well as infrequent extra drop in sessions as agreed with volunteers. The regular sessions for 2019/2020 would be: Friday 18 October, Friday 1 November, Friday 15 November, Friday 6 December, Friday 20 December, Friday 3 January, Friday 17 January, Friday 7 February, Friday 21 February, Friday 6 March and Friday 20 March. All the above sessions are 10am to 12noon.
- Good level of ICT skills
- Confident and enthusiastic about using computers and the Internet
- Able to advise and show people how to use technology
- Able to explain instructions clearly
- Able to get on with it and work without supervision but will ask for support when needed
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.