Uxbridge Library – Digital Drop-In
Details of the Charity:Share this
Uxbridge Library is the main central Library for the London Borough of Hillingdon. The library provides an extensive range of books available for loan on a vast number of subjects, online resources accessible via the website, free Wi-Fi use, a large number of bookable computers, computer taster and practice sessions, a range of reading groups, creative writing groups, bear club for the under 5’s, and advice sessions and coffee mornings.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for enthusiastic people with good ICT skills to help members of the public use the library computers and the Internet.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assisting the library staff in providing a basic introduction to the computer for those who have not used a computer before.
- Assisting the library staff in providing instructions on using the internet, setting up email accounts, using Microsoft Office packages, using iMacs
- Promoting the library’s online services and other aspects of the library service to our computer users.
Uxbridge Library runs a monthly Digital Drop In on the first and third Friday of the month as well as infrequent extra drop in sessions as agreed with volunteers. The regular sessions for 2020 would be Friday 21 February, Friday 6 March and Friday 20 March. All sessions run from 10am to 12noon.
- Good level of ICT skills
- Confident and enthusiastic about using computers and the Internet
- Able to advise and show people how to use technology
- Able to explain instructions clearly
- Able to get on with it and work without supervision but will ask for support when needed
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.