WaterAid - Speaker Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Since we started in 1981, we've remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transport people's lives. Without all three, people can't live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
By inspiring people and sparking chain reactions we help deliver lasting change in what's normal. By working closely with partners internationally and on the ground in some of the toughest places in the world, we help achieve widespread change. Millions of people have already taken control of their lives and built better futures.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
- Give a minimum of four talks or workshops a year to a variety of community groups about the importance of everyone having access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene, while inspiring them to support us.
- Demonstrate our values, including being considerate when representing WaterAid and always leaving others with a positive view of our organisation and the work that we do.
- Regularly liaising with us about planned talks and workshops.
- Generate new talk and workshop opportunities in yor local community.
- Distribute our paying in form to audiences following a talk or workshop.
- Provide feedback on talks or workshops by completing the SurveyMonkey evaluation.
- Attend Speaker Network training and follow our volunteer guidance.
- Keep up to date with our key messages, resources, processes, fundraising initiatives and news at www.wateraid.org, in our Speaker e-newsletter and emails, and through our online resource site.
- Provide support to new Speakers in your local area and help them develop through our buddying process.
- Deliver a talk or workshop to celebrate our key days, including World Water Day, World Toilet Day, Menstrual Hygiene Day and Global Handwishing.
- A passion and enthusiasm for public speaking
- A commitment to WaterAid’s vision and mission (Essential)
- An interest in fundraising, campaigning and volunteering to support international development (Desirable)
- The confidence to speak publicly to a diverse range of community groups, from schoolchildren to Rotarians (Essential)
- A sense of personal achievement being part of an influential, UK-wide network making an impact by promoting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene for everyone everywhere by 2030.
- An opportunity to develop your public speaking skills and confidence through training, resources and experience.
- A way to learn more about international development.
- Reasonable expenses for travel to training and to talks may be covered.