Exit Menu

Waterway Recovery Group – Canal Restoration Volunteer

Details of the Charity:

Waterway Recovery Group provides practical and technical support to waterways restoration projects across the country. WRG organises events to help restore derelict canals of England and Wales through running restoration holidays called Canal Camps and weekend activities as well as teaching heritage construction skills.

WRG attracts a wide range of people, from young volunteers taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme; to waterway enthusiasts who wish to make a contribution to restoring and preserving the system; to people who just want to get outdoors and dirty, have fun and learn new skills.

Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:

Waterway Recovery Group’s week long residential volunteering holidays are perfect for anyone looking to learn new skills, meet a wide range of different people, give something back or just have a fun filled week making amazing memories.

Each Canal Camp costs only £70 for the whole week and is run by volunteers for volunteers – providing all the training, food and banter needed to fully immerse yourself in the world of Canal Restoration. Accommodation and travel to and from site is also included during the week.

Our volunteering holidays act as a catalyst to canal restoration projects giving a much needed boost to local restoration groups making significant progress in just one week.

Skills Required:

No previous experience required – all training is provided

Additional Benefits:

  • All travelling between site and accommodation is sorted by us
  • Training in heritage construction techniques and opportunities to learn leadership skills
  • All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
  • Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony
  • Interested? Apply below:
    Please note '*' denotes mandatory fields
  • Name
  • Have you come to study at Brunel from outside the EU
  • If you are an international student which visa do you hold?