Bookmark Reading Charity - Reading Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Bookmark Reading is a charity helping children develop the reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond by creating flexible volunteering at the heart of our communities. More than 1 in 4 children leave primary school in England each year unable to read to the expected standard which can hugely affect their life chances. We want to change this. We link vetted and trained volunteers to children who need extra support. Our digital app makes it easy for schools and volunteers to arrange sessions at times and dates that work for everyone. By working together, we can help change a child's story.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a Bookmark reading volunteer, you’ll help a 5–9-year-old learn to read, so that they can succeed in school and beyond. You will read together, play games, and see your reader progress, either on our secure online platform or in person at a local school.
Each reading programme involves 30-minute sessions with the same child, twice a week, for six weeks. You book your programme through the Bookmark app and select sessions at times that work with your schedule.
Is volunteering with Bookmark right for me?
Our volunteers are of all ages and from all walks of life. At Bookmark we aim to make volunteering accessible to as many people as possible, so we can help more children.
- Are you over 18 and currently living in the UK?
- Are you passionate about literacy and its importance?
- Are you able to show enthusiasm, encouragement, empathy and patience?
- Can you commit to two 30-minute sessions a week, for six consecutive weeks?
- Are you willing to complete at least 3 six-week programmes a year?
- Can you provide two references for your application (for safeguarding reasons)?
- Experience working with children
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively
- A creative approach to learning strategies
- Support from our volunteer community.
- Volunteering Hours to go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award
- Volunteering achievement recognised on your HEAR Transcript