The Brain Tumour Charity - Art Volunteer Coordinator
Details of the Charity:Share this
The Brain Tumour Charity is the world's leading brain tumour charity and the largest dedicated funder of research into brain tumours globally.
Our vision is for a world where brain tumours are defeated
Your brain is the most extraordinary part of your body. It's responsible for your ability to move and to communicate. It controls your emotions and stores your memories. It's the part of you that makes you who you are.
Yet, at least 88,000 children and adults are currently estimated to be living with a brain tumour in the UK. And the impact can be devastating. Just 12% of adults survive for five years after diagnosis, and brain tumours reduce life expectancy by an average of 27 years – the highest of any cancer.
Despite this, treatments haven't changed in 40 years, and research into brain tumours is still woefully underfunded. Just 3% of the money spent each year on cancer research in the UK is spent on brain tumours.
We know progress isn't happening fast enough. We need to do more if we're going to find a cure. And we need to do it now. That's why we're investing in more forward-thinking research, more specialist support services, and passionately lobbying for more urgent change.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Time is an art exhibition which encapsulates the experience and journey of the brain tumour community. The exhibition will be a mix of both works submitted by our community and well-known artists that follows the theme 'Time’.
The Exhibition will be held at the prestigious Business Design Centre in Central London between 2nd-16th April 2023.
We are looking for a volunteer with a passion for the arts to support the Events team in delivering the event as well as providing the artists and visitors a high quality supporter experience.
Volunteer tasks include:
- Coordinating, cataloguing and photographing art submissions prior to the event
- Support on the set up day which will involved unpacking and coordinating the art at the Business Design Centre and setting up our reception and shop area
- Support throughout the exhibition which will include liaising with visitors, guiding them through the gallery and supporting the team with donations, ticketing and sales.
A minimum of a day a week in the office prior to the event to support us in receiving, cataloguing and photographing the work. The event is running between 2nd-16th April 2023 and we will need support to set up the exhibit then the running of both the daily openings and support at our mini evening events, which will be for VIP’s and paid for tickets. You will not be expected to be at the event all week.
- Passionate about the arts, hands-on and enthusiastic
- Happy to 'muck-in’ and help across a range of tasks where needed
- Friendly and approachable for advising visitors on what to see
- Interest in leading art tours of small groups (not essential)
- Basic awareness of current affairs of the art world
- Organised and committed - you don’t need to be available for the entire week but be committed to the availability agreed
- First Hand experience from art curator
- Invaluable work experience for CV
- Increase in knowledge and skills about art coordination, curation and exhibition
- Volunteering Hours go towards the Brunel Volunteers Awards