Dr Evina Katsou
Howell Building 234
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265721
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Institute of Environment, Health and Societies
- Environment and Health
I have recently been appointed as Lecturer at Brunel University. I will be involved in teaching of the following modules:
- CE5011-CE5509 Water Infrastructure Engineering (MSc module, module leader)
- CE5008-CE5508 Geo-Environmental Management for Civil Engineers (MSc module, module leader)
- CE5014-CE5512 Water Process Engineering
- CE5511 Water Treatment Engineering
- CE2001 Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics
- CE3002 Water Engineering
I have contributed to the following courses:
- \'Design and operation of wastewater treatment plants\', Academic Year 2012-13, 2nd semester, Inter-university Master Course “Ingegneria Chimica della depurazione delle acque e delle energie rinnovabili with the collaboration of the Universities of Padova, Verona, Venezia, Bologna, Marche, Udine, Trieste (Italy).
- Environmental pollution (Water and Wastewater Treatment), Academic Year 2010-11, 1st Semester, Postgraduate course in Environment and Development, School of Rural and Surveying Engineering, NTUA.
- General Chemistry, Academic years: 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 5th semester School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences, NTUA.
- Analytical Chemistry – Physical methods of analysis, Academic year: 2009-10 4th semester, School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, NTUA.
Dr. Evina Katsou has co-supervised 26 undergraduate and postgraduate theses and 4 PhD thesis.
Research Summary & Interests
My research interests are focused on the design and application of innovative processes/technologies for industrial and municipal wastewater purification and resource recovery. I develop and test processes such as membrane bioreactors, sequencing batch reactors, upflow anaerobic sludge blanket to treat a variety of effluents. Furthermore, my research focuses on advanced biological nutrient removal processes such as nitritation/denitritation, enhanced biological phosphorus removal via nitrite and the completely autotrophic nitrogen removal process. At the same time I focus my research on resource recovery by developing innovative processes to produce bioplastics within wastewater treatment plants.
My current research activities are related of advanced nutrient removal from effluents, bioplastics production within wastewater treatment plants and anaerobic treatment of wastewater. Specifically, the research I am currently involved is on:
- Application of an integrated upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) followed by suitable post treatment to remove nutrients via nitrite in the concept of decentralized wastewater treatment
- Nitrogen and phosphorus via nitrite from the sludge reject water produced in wastewater treatment plants
- Coupling sludge alkaline fermentation process to a sequencing batch reactor for enhanced via nitrite biological nutrients removal and PHA production’
- Nutrient removal via nitrite from reject water and polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) storage during nitrifying conditions
- Low Environmental Footprint Biological Treatment Processes for Waste and Wastewater Treatment, LEF-BIOWASTE, Marie Curie FP7 2012-2016.
- Environment Policy and Governance. Sustainable management of livestock waste for the removal/recovery of nutrients LIFE+ , European Commission, 2012-2015 (LIFE LIVE-WASTE)
- Development and demonstration of an innovative method of converting waste into bioethanol, European Commission, Waste2Bio, LIFE+, 2012-2015
- Development of a national strategy for adaptation to climate change adverse impacts in Cyprus, CYPADAPT, European Commission, LIFE+, 2011-2014
- Development of an advanced, innovative, energy autonomous system for the treatment of brine from seawater desalination plants, SOL-BRINE, LIFE+,European Commission, 2010-2013.
- Development of knowledge-based web services to promote and advance Industrial Symbiosis in Europe, eSYMBIOSIS, LIFE+, European Commission, 2010-2013.
- Strategic planning towards carbon neutrality in tourism accommodation sector, CARBONTOUR, LIFE+, European Commission, 2010-2012.
- Development and demonstration of an innovative household dryer for the treatment of organic waste, DRYWASTE, LIFE+, European Commission, 2010-2012.
- Demonstration of an integrated waste-to-energy system for energy generation from biodegradable organic waste and wastewater, INTERWASTE, LIFE+, European Commission, 2010-2012.
- Development and application of a prototype system for the treatment of brackish water and the production of potable water at communities in Jordan, Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2009-2011.
- Development and operation of an integrated, energy efficient membrane system for the advanced treatment of wastewater in Cyprus, Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus, 2008-2010.
- Development and implementation of a demonstration system on Integrated Solid Waste Management for Tinos in line with the Waste Framework Directive, ISWM-TINOS, European Commission, LIFE+, LIFE10 ENV/GR/000610, 2011-2014
Awards & Scholarship
- Post Doctoral Scholarship in memoriam of ‘Stamatis G. Mantzavinos’ (2012-2014), ‘Investigation of the application of an innovative integrated UASB - MBR system for the enhanced treatment of municipal wastewater’ (Bodossaki Foundation).
- CooperInt 2011: Junior Visitor Program ‘Conceiving Municipal Wastewater Treatment in 2020: the role of anaerobic (and post-aerobic) processes under energetic, environmental and economic challenges’
- The PhD was co-financed by the European Union (European Social Fund – ESF) and Greek national funds through the Operational Program \"Education and Lifelong Learning\" of the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) - Research Funding Program: Heracleitus II: Investing in knowledge society through the European Social Fund.