Miss Hsiang Loh
Giselle Hsiang Loh is a PhD candidate in the Institute of Materials and Manufacturing at Brunel University under the supervision of Dr. Eujin Pei and Professor David Harrison. She has an honours degree in Product and Furniture Design and a Master’s degree in Fashion and Textiles. Her research focuses on 4D Printing and Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing.
The application of 4D Printing for thermo-responsive textiles.
This research proposes a framework to select commercially available AM materials and to identify the optimal material extrusion parameters to produce 4D printed thermo-responsive textiles for smart garments.
Key research areas include: • Examine the state of art of 4D Printing (4DP) and Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing (FGAM); • Develop a material selection process for commercially available AM materials to confirm the material characteristics that are suitable for 4D printing; • Direct 3D and 4D printing onto textile substrates as a material-joining process to create polymer-textile composites; and • Investigate the key build parameters for material extrusion that can influence the geometrical deformation of a 4D printed part.
Giselle also works as a Teaching Assistant at Brunel University, responsible in Computer Aided Design (SolidWorks) and Graphic Communication (Adobe CC), and as a Research Assitant for two EU funded projects - Increaing Excellence on Advanced Additive Manufacturing (INEX-ADAM) and Sector Skills Strategy in Additive Manufactuirng (SAM).
Read more about Giselle's research:
Published Journal Papers
- Pei, E. and Loh, G.H. (2018) “Technological considerations for 4D printing: An Overview”. Progress in Additive Manufacturing. June 2018, volume 3, issue 1-2, pp95-107.
- Loh, G.H., Pei, E., Harrison, D. and Monzon, M. (2018) “An Overview of Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing”. Additive Manufacturing. October 2018, volume 23, pp34-44.
- Pei, E., Loh, G.H., Harrison, D., Almeida, H.D.A., Monzon, M. and Paz, R. (2017) "A Study of 4D Printing and Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing", Assembly Automation, volume 37 Issue: 2, pp147-153.
- Pei, E., Loh, G.H., Nam, S.W. and Azhar, E.F. (2019) "Programming 4D Printed Parts through Shape-Memory Polymers and Computer-Aided-Design", Progress in Digital and Physical Manufacturing.
- Loh, G.H. and Pei, E. (2019) “Design for Material Extrusion on Mesh Fabrics”. 16th Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing Conference (RDPM). Brunel University London. 4 – 5th London.
- Loh, G.H. and Pei, E. (2017) “Building a conceptual understanding of Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing”. 15th Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing Conference (RDPM). Northumbria University. 27 – 28th Newcastle.
- Pei, E. and Loh, G.H. (2018) “Future Challenges in Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing. Additive Manufacturing: Developments in Training and Education”. Springer, pp219-226.
- ISO Technical report TR52912 Design of functionally graded additive manufactured parts. Document stage: (60) Publication.