Miss Hsiang Loh
Giselle Hsiang Loh is a PhD candidate in the Institute of Materials and Manufacturing at Brunel University under the supervision of Dr. Eujin Pei and Professor David Harrison. She has an honours degree in Product and Furniture Design and a Master’s degree in Fashion and Textiles. Her research focuses on 4D Printing (4DP), Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing (FGAM) and Thermo-responsive Textiles.
The application of 4D Printing for thermo-responsive textiles.
This research investigates the differences between 4D Printing and Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing (FGAM) and proposes a material selection framework for commercially available shape memory polymers to create shape-changing textiles when subjected to changes in temperature.
Giselle was a Teaching Assistant at Brunel University, responsible in Computer-Aided Design (SolidWorks) and Graphic Communication (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign). She currently works as a Research Assitant for funded projects.
- InnovateUK, Designing Sustainable Plastic Solutions Fund - Developing sustainable bioplastic films for argicultural use (AgriFlex)
- InnovateUK, Sustainable Innovation Fund Round 3 - Sustainable bioplastic for Personal Protection Equipment (MediFlex)
- European Commission - Sector Skills Strategy in Additive Manufacturing (SAM)
- European Commission - Increaing Excellence on Advanced Additive Manufacturing (INEX-ADAM)
Read more about Giselle's research:
Published Journal Papers
- Loh, G. H., Sotayo, A. and Pei, E. (2021) ‘Development and testing of material extrusion additive manufactured polymer–textile composites’, Fashion and Textiles. Springer Singapore, 8, 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40691-020-00232-7.
- Loh, G.H., Pei, E., Gonzalez-Gutierrez, J. and Monzón, M. (2020) “An Overview of Material Extrusion Troubleshooting”. Applied Sciences. July 2020, volume 10, 4776. https://doi.org/10.3390/app10144776.
- Pei, E., Loh, G.H. and Nam, S (2020) “Concepts and Terminologies in 4D Printing”. Applied Sciences. June 2020, volume 10, 4443. https://doi.org/3390/app10134443.
- Pei, E. and Loh, G.H. (2018) “Technological considerations for 4D printing: An Overview”. Progress in Additive Manufacturing. June 2018, volume 3, issue 1-2, pp 95-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40964-018-0047-1.
- Loh, G.H., Pei, E., Harrison, D. and Monzón, M. (2018) “An Overview of Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing”. Additive Manufacturing. October 2018, volume 23, pp 34-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2018.06.023.
- Pei, E., Loh, G.H., Harrison, D., Almeida, H.D.A., Monzon, M. and Paz, R. (2017) "A Study of 4D Printing and Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing", Assembly Automation, volume 37 Issue: 2, pp147-153. https://doi.org/10.1108/AA-01-2017-012.
- Kabir, I.R., Loh, G.H., Pei, E. (2020) “Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing: A Teaching Case Study of INEX-ADAM”. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference, June 2020, volume 1, pp 245-254. https://doi.org/10.1017/dsd.2020.262.
- Pei, E, Loh, G.H., Nam, S, Azhar, F.E. (2019) Programming 4D Printed Parts Through Shape-Memory Polymers and Computer-Aided-Design. Progress in Digital and Physical Manufacturing. pp143-151. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-29041-2_19. International Conference of Progress in Digital and Physical Manufacturing (ProDPM 2019). 2 – 4th October 2019. Leiria, Portugal. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-29041-2_19.
- Loh, G.H. and Pei, E. (2019) “Design for Material Extrusion on Mesh Fabrics”. 16th Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing Conference (RDPM). Brunel University London. 4 – 5th April 2019. London, UK.
- Loh, G.H. and Pei, E. (2017) “Building a conceptual understanding of Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing”. 15th Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing Conference (RDPM). Northumbria University. 27 – 28th April 2017. Newcastle, UK.
- Pei, E. and Loh, G. H. (2018) "Future challenges in functionally graded additive manufacturing", in Additive Manufacturing - Developments in Training and Education, pp. 219–226. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-76084-1_15.
- ISO Technical report TR52912 Design of functionally graded additive manufactured parts. Document stage: (60) Publication.